The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Previous notice of elections

Guest Puzzling

I always thought that elections (for boardmembers or officers) need previous notice but could not such a rule. Am I just making rules up?

Also was puzzling if the board has the authority to appoint/ elect replacement boardmembers!/officers can the previous notice be omitted if all boardmembers are present (so no absentees rights are harmed) ?

In my opinion previous notice is still needed, to prevent railroading , but would like to hear opinions of others.

(Off course if there is no rule prescribing previous notice this is a bit out of order)

4 hours ago, George Mervosh said:

I think you are referring to filling vacancies in office rather than your garden variety elections.  See 47:58

A requirement of previous notice protects absentees, if there are any.  See 25:10

Thanks for that, but now a bit puzzled if this only applies to officers or also to ordinary boardmembers. 

Also puzzling about the footnote at 25:10

Has an elected board the authority to determine its own quorum? If not previous notice can not be suspended. (If I understand the footnote correctly) 

37 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Thanks for that, but now a bit puzzled if this only applies to officers or also to ordinary boardmembers. 

Board members are officers so far as RONR is concerned. So it applies to both.

37 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

Has an elected board the authority to determine its own quorum? If not previous notice can not be suspended. (If I understand the footnote correctly) 

No, that's not what that footnote says. An elected body such as a board does not have the authority to determine its own quorum unless so authorized by the organization's rules. Such a body does not have the authority to suspend the rules requiring the presence of a quorum to conduct business, even if all members of the board are present. This does not limit the body's authority to suspend other rules protecting absentees when all members of the body are present.

Edited by Josh Martin

2 hours ago, Josh Martin said:

No, that's not what that footnote says. An elected body such as a board does not have the authority to determine its own quorum unless so authorized by the organization's rules. Such a body does not have the authority to suspend the rules requiring the presence of a quorum to conduct business, even if all members of the board are present. This does not limit the body's authority to suspend other rules protecting absentees when all members of the body are present.

Sorry I misread the footnote, (somehow thought it was over previous notice not about the quorum itself.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.