The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Publishing (part of ) the board minutes

Guest Puzzling

Some boardmembers want the board to publish some of their minutes on the organizations website.

The bylaws have no rules about this and it is not related to an executive session. 

What kind of vote is needed for this (and by the board or the membership) to make this:

A a one off decision about parts of present or part minutes.

B a standing rules for the board.(with the board given the authority to decide which parts to publish)

15 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

A a one off decision about parts of present or part minutes.

A majority vote.

15 minutes ago, Guest Puzzling said:

B a standing rules for the board.(with the board given the authority to decide which parts to publish)

A 2/3 vote, or majority of the entire membership (of the board), or a majority with notice.

1 hour ago, Guest Puzzling said:

57 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

A 2/3 vote, or majority of the entire membership (of the board), or a majority with notice.

At least to me, this doesn't seem to relate to the orderly transaction of business in meetings and to the duties of officers in that connection.  Wouldn't a majority vote be sufficient?

It's a fair question. If there's one thing I learned by being in school most of my life, it's that I need to be ready to be wrong. I can see the argument for it not being a rule of order, namely that posting happens outside the meeting. I can see the argument for it being one, namely that the minutes are about the meeting. I'm not sure how to resolve it, honestly.

6 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think a majority vote will suffice for adoption of a motion made at a board meeting to publish part or all of the minutes of a board meeting that was not held in executive session.

From the context, it appears that you mean that this would also apply to a motion to publish part or all of the minutes of any and all board meetings that were not held in executive session, i.e., a standing rule. 

But I don't want to assume.

16 minutes ago, Daniel H. Honemann said:

I think a majority vote will suffice for adoption of a motion made at a board meeting to publish part or all of the minutes of a board meeting that was not held in executive session.

30 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

I'm not sure how to resolve it, honestly.

Okay, it's resolved.

On 6/13/2021 at 6:37 AM, Guest Puzzling said:

I saw that , just wanted to express my gratitude in a nice way , why am I so often misunderstood 

Ah, I misread your reply as saying that we had to wait for that to occur in the future.

"I'm just a boy whose intentions are good;
"O Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood" 🎵

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.