The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Establishing a quorum

Guest rushluna50@gmail.com

Guest rushluna50@gmail.com

At a recent meeting of a homeowners association a quorum was not present at the time the meeting started. A majority being established, per the by-laws, "as a majority of the outstanding shares of the corporation represented in person or by proxy, shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of shareholders."

When it was determined that there was not a quorum present, a resident in attendance left the meeting and went to the home of a resident not in attendance and obtained a proxy from that person which was then brought back to the meeting. At this point the Board determined that a quorum was present.

My question is, if a quorum is not present at the time the meeting starts, can a quorum be established if a late attendee arrives or if a proxy is obtained after the start of the meeting?

Thank you,

Dennis

45 minutes ago, Tom Coronite said:

But that 1st paragraph in the OP certainly reads to me that a quorum is a majority of those present, be it in person or by proxy. If so, how could a quorum ever not be present?

I think you are misreading the post. I interpret it to be saying that the bylaws provide that a quorum Is a majority of the membership either present in person or by proxy.  It is common wording where proxies are permitted and a member who is represented by a proxy is considered present by proxy. 

2 hours ago, Tom Coronite said:

Maybe my brain isn’t firing on all cylinders this early in the morning. But that 1st paragraph in the OP certainly reads to me that a quorum is a majority of those present, be it in person or by proxy. If so, how could a quorum ever not be present?

I agree with Mr. Brown's interpretation, but Mr. Coronite is correct that there is potential for confusion, which could be solved by inserting a comma after "corporation":

a majority of the outstanding shares of the corporation, represented in person or by proxy, shall constitute a quorum at any meeting of shareholders.

I agree with Dr. Kapur that the additional comma after the word “Corporation“ would add clarity and remove any ambiguity. I also agree with Mr. Honemann that only one of the two possible interpretations makes any sense.

Edited by Richard Brown
Slight change in wording

Well, that sounds like a corruption of 40:2(2)

In organizations such as many churches or some societies in which there are no required or effective annual dues and the register of members is not generally reliable as a list of the bona-fide members, the quorum at any regular or properly called meeting consists of those who attend.

Or, more charitably, a weird amalgam of 40:2(2) and 40:2(3)

In a body of delegates, such as a convention, the quorum is a majority of the number who have been registered as attending, irrespective of whether some may have departed. This may differ greatly from the number elected or appointed.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.