The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Special Meetings

Guest KBJ

15 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

A special meeting is a meeting other than a regular meeting. They may only be called if your bylaws provide for them, in which case your bylaws should also give any rules for how often they may be called, notice, and so on. I don't know what your last question means.

Thank you for answering, to be more specific, I was looking for an exact definition. For example, a special meeting can only be called if it directly (immediately) affects the functionality, of the cities daily activities. It seems that you are stating that must be indicated in the bylaws of the Charter.  

Just now, Guest KBJ said:

For example, a special meeting can only be called if it directly (immediately) affects the functionality, of the cities daily activities.

There is no such definition. For RONR's purposes, it is just a meeting that is not what the society has defined as a regular meeting. 

1 minute ago, Guest KBJ said:

It seems that you are stating that must be indicated in the bylaws of the Charter.  

Yes, the bylaws must authorize a special meeting, and give any rules for calling one, such as how they get called, what notice is needed, and, if desired, any limitation on purpose. (For what it's worth, I don't think a rule limiting special meetings to a fixed list of purposes is a good one, but that's just my opinion.)

It is a rule, however, that, if your society allows for special meetings, then the meeting is limited to the business indicated in the notice.

25 minutes ago, Joshua Katz said:

A special meeting is a meeting other than a regular meeting. They may only be called if your bylaws provide for them, in which case your bylaws should also give any rules for how often they may be called, notice, and so on. I don't know what your last question means.

RONR (12th ed.) 9:13

The reason for special meetings is to deal with matters that may arise between regular meetings and that require action by the society before the next regular meeting, or to dedicate an entire session to one or more particular matters.

The second part of that sentence gives an organization a lot of leeway as to what those "particular matters" are.

1 hour ago, Guest KBJ said:

what is within reason.

is dependent on the society's judgement.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.