The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Changing a boards previous decision at a following meeting

Guest Eric

Our board had a special meeting to discuss and vote on a contentious matter, many of public were there to comment and a few board members were against the matter from the start. A motion was made in favor and ended up passing 4 to 3. Can this motion be overturned at a next meeting by basically a board member making the opposite motion or similar to opposite? My thought would be that the motion made and passed at previous meeting would need to be rescinded by one of members who voted in favor. Trying to figure how roberts rules would keep this from going back and fourth.

On 8/30/2021 at 5:02 PM, Guest Eric said:

Our board had a special meeting to discuss and vote on a contentious matter, many of public were there to comment and a few board members were against the matter from the start. A motion was made in favor and ended up passing 4 to 3. Can this motion be overturned at a next meeting by basically a board member making the opposite motion or similar to opposite? My thought would be that the motion made and passed at previous meeting would need to be rescinded by one of members who voted in favor. Trying to figure how roberts rules would keep this from going back and fourth.

If the motion is still applicable, any board member may move to rescind or amend it at a subsequent session of the board no matter if or how they voted originally.  See RONR (12th ed.), §35

On 8/30/2021 at 4:02 PM, Guest Eric said:

Can this motion be overturned at a next meeting by basically a board member making the opposite motion or similar to opposite?

Not exactly, but the member may accomplish a similar objective by making a motion to Rescind or Amend something Previously Adopted.

My thought would be that the motion made and passed at previous meeting would need to be rescinded by one of members who voted in favor.

Any member may make a motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted.

Trying to figure how roberts rules would keep this from going back and fourth.

RONR requires a higher vote (or previous notice) for a motion to Rescind or Amend Something Previously Adopted, which is intended to address the concern of keeping things from going back and forth. Specifically, the motion requires any of the following for adoption:

a) a 2/3 vote

b) a vote of a majority of the entire membership (of the board, in this case)

c) a majority vote with previous notice

Unless the organization's rules provide otherwise, previous notice may be provided orally at the previous regular meeting (if the next meeting is within a quarterly interval), or written notice may be sent to the secretary to include in the call of the meeting.

The term RONR uses is "still in force" or effect. 

If the motion is no longer in force, then there's no need to rescind it.

If it is still in force, then the rules for rescind apply. Note that with a small board, that a majority of the board is not as challenging a threshold as it would be with a larger assembly.

On 8/31/2021 at 7:50 AM, Guest Eric said:

So if a board member made a different motion opposite to the one made at a previous meeting, let say it passed because the full board wasn’t present, would the previous motion not be in effect anymore? 

Not quite correct. If a motion conflicts with one previously adopted and still in force, it is null and void, unless it is adopted by the vote required to rescind or amend the previous motion. RONR (12th ed.) 39:5.

"Apart from a motion to Rescind or to Amend Something Previously Adopted (35), no main motion is in order that conflicts with a motion previously adopted at any time and still in force" (RONR, 12th ed., 10:26(4)).  If such a motion is made, the chair should rule that it is not in order.

On 8/30/2021 at 6:54 PM, Guest Eric said:

Could you explain how it would still be applicable? For more context we are a small school board which also uses Roberts rules for small boards. Which i'm trying to also find buy a pdf of RONR that I can download now. Thank you everyone for your help on this. 

RONR is not available as a pdf, but it is available in Kindle form, as is RONRIB ((Robert's) Rules of Order Newly Revised--In Brief) 3rd ed.

On 8/31/2021 at 9:25 PM, Guest Eric said:

Yes I ended up getting a kindle version after finding out there is a kindle reader for PC, thank you for all the comments and help.

Yes, I use it on my PC as well.

Search tip:  If you're searching for a particular paragraph like 41:6,  leave out the colon and search for 40 6 instead.

On 8/31/2021 at 10:31 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Yes, I use it on my PC as well.

Search tip:  If you're searching for a particular paragraph like 41:6,  leave out the colon and search for 40 6 instead.

Nice tip, there is so much to there that will be useful, My tip: there is a way convert it PDF that way you can print pages.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.