The Official RONR Q & A Forums

anonymous letter

MSparks

Hello - our school board follows Roberts Rules, at a recent board meeting a teacher who is the head of the union for the school read an anonymous letter, saying it was from a group of concerned teachers, bashing both the chair of our board and the PTO President.  She then submitted the letter for the minutes.  As a parent in the audience do I have a right to say it should not be admitted?

On 9/23/2021 at 7:58 AM, MSparks said:

As a parent in the audience do I have a right to say it should not be admitted?

Only if the school board's own rules give you that right. So far as RONR is concerned, as a non-board member, you have no rights at all with regard to the board meeting.

On 9/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, Rob Elsman said:

By what authority did this "teacher who is the head of the union for the school", who is apparently not a member of the board, read this letter?  Did a member of the school board make a motion to grant the privilege?  Was the motion adopted?

Those certainly are valid questions. But regardless of the answers to those questions, that fact remains that MSparks had no rights at the meeting except as may have been granted by the board's rules.

That's not to say that I believe the board should have allowed the letter to be read, or to have it attached to the minutes (if they did). But any objection would have to have been voiced by a board member.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.