The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Indemnification of Officers & Board Members

PAPS

Good morning,
As I am working to clean up our present By-laws, I see no where that our Officers/Board Members are insured/indemnified from liability. In this case, does this mean any legal litigation against officers or board members will be at their own personal risk & expense?
While we are a very small club and no history of litigation has been held against in the past has ever occurred. It is my understanding any action made by the Officers/Board could be subject to legal actions as representatives.
Thank you for any words of advice,
Amy

On 10/18/2021 at 11:20 AM, PAPS said:

Good morning,
As I am working to clean up our present By-laws, I see no where that our Officers/Board Members are insured/indemnified from liability. In this case, does this mean any legal litigation against officers or board members will be at their own personal risk & expense?
While we are a very small club and no history of litigation has been held against in the past has ever occurred. It is my understanding any action made by the Officers/Board could be subject to legal actions as representatives.
Thank you for any words of advice,
Amy

This sort of question should be addressed to a lawyer.

FYI......This is what the American Kennel Club is recommending - https://images.akc.org/pdf/ACINS1.pdf

I did follow up and depending on your personal homeowners insurance there is liability coverage for volunteer work in a not-for-profit if you hold an elected office.

Here's another insurance company that specializes in Dog Affiliated clubs as well - https://www.rvnuccio.com/nonprofit-insurance/akc/

Amy

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.