The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Untimely Motions

Guest Alison Lane

We have governance that requires motions to be submitted 5 business days prior to the meeting date.  If a new motion is raised at the time of the meeting, it requires 2/3rds to be brought to the floor.  My question is: does the motion to consider bringing it to the floor require a first and second?

On 11/2/2021 at 9:29 AM, Guest Alison Lane said:

We have governance that requires motions to be submitted 5 business days prior to the meeting date.  If a new motion is raised at the time of the meeting, it requires 2/3rds to be brought to the floor.  My question is: does the motion to consider bringing it to the floor require a first and second?

This "motion to consider" sounds very much like a motion to suspend the rules and if that's the case it would require a second.   RONR (12th ed.), 25:2 4.  How has it been handled in the past?

Edited by George Mervosh

On 11/2/2021 at 8:34 AM, George Mervosh said:

This "motion to consider" sounds very much like a motion to suspend the rules and if that's the case it would require a second.   RONR (12th ed.), 25:2 4.  How has it been handled in the past?

I agree. However, it seems to me that a second would be required either way. Am I missing something?

Edited to add: although this sounds somewhat like a motion to suspend the rules, I’m not convinced that it actually is a motion to suspend the rules because this organization’s rules themselves provide for making a motion to consider an item not submitted in advance.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

On 11/2/2021 at 7:09 PM, Richard Brown said:

although this sounds somewhat like a motion to suspend the rules, I’m not convinced that it actually is a motion to suspend the rules because this organization’s rules themselves provide for making a motion to consider an item not submitted in advance.

We don't know what the rules provide. It may be that no motion to consider is necessary, but the chair can assume a motion as in the situation where a member makes a motion that is outside the defined object of the society (10:26(2)).

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.