The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Small Boards lack of a second

Tomm

The board (9 members) typically always asks for a "second" during board meetings. If no "second" the chair declares the motion dead. 

Because small boards don't require a "second" can a member demand a vote be taken even if nobody "seconds' the motion? Granted, the outcome of the vote would no doubt be the same however, non-board members quests in attendance would get to see that!

There seems to be nothing in the bylaws that states all motions require a "second".

Are small boards required to function under the procedures for small boards?

On 12/1/2021 at 11:50 AM, Tomm said:

The board (9 members) typically always asks for a "second" during board meetings. If no "second" the chair declares the motion dead. 

Because small boards don't require a "second" can a member demand a vote be taken even if nobody "seconds' the motion? Granted, the outcome of the vote would no doubt be the same however, non-board members quests in attendance would get to see that!

There seems to be nothing in the bylaws that states all motions require a "second".

No. 

In your second paragraph do you mean a member of the board (because it would be silly if a board member demanded a vote and did not simply second the motion)?

On 12/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tomm said:

I'm thinking in terms of the following:

A board member makes a motion to divide the question but nobody "seconds" the motion. I understand how a "no-second" means nobody else is in favor of the motion but a forced vote would, kinda, expose the members more as individuals rather than a kinda hiding in anonymity? 

I think it's time to give this one up, Tomm.  As previously noted, the board is doing nothing wrong on this issue.

On 12/1/2021 at 12:18 PM, Tomm said:

I'm thinking in terms of the following:

A board member makes a motion to divide the question but nobody "seconds" the motion. I understand how a "no-second" means nobody else is in favor of the motion but a forced vote would, kinda, expose the members more as individuals rather than a kinda hiding in anonymity? 

Remember that some motions must be divided upon the demand of a single member.  See: RONR (12th ed.) 27:10

On 12/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Tomm said:

Because small boards don't require a "second" can a member demand a vote be taken even if nobody "seconds' the motion?

Under the small board rules, yes.

On 12/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, Tomm said:

No. Further, it's not necessarily an all or nothing proposition. A small board could, for example, choose to have a requirement for motions to be seconded, but otherwise follow the procedures for small boards. In my experience, this is a fairly common arrangement.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.