The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Newly elected Executive Committee members approving meeting minutes for a past group of Executive Committee members

user

If an Executive Committee has the last meeting of their term, then new Executive Committee members are elected, is the standard process that the newly elected Executive Committee (at their first meeting) approves the minutes from the last meeting of the previous Executive Committee?

It seems a bit odd to me since how can they offer corrections to a meeting they didn't attend. What do the official rules say about this?

Thanks

On 12/6/2021 at 1:54 PM, user said:

If an Executive Committee has the last meeting of their term, then new Executive Committee members are elected, is the standard process that the newly elected Executive Committee (at their first meeting) approves the minutes from the last meeting of the previous Executive Committee?

It seems a bit odd to me since how can they offer corrections to a meeting they didn't attend. What do the official rules say about this?

Thanks

The outgoing executive committee should appoint a special committee, typically consisting of a couple of its members, to approve the minutes of their last meeting.  The new members will then have an approved set for their records.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, George Mervosh said:

The outgoing executive committee should appoint a special committee, typically consisting of a couple of its members, to approve the minutes of their last meeting.  The new members will then have an approved set for their records.

From your experience, is this very frequently done? Or in practice, does the new Executive Committee approve the minutes most of the time?

On 12/6/2021 at 4:26 PM, user said:

From your experience, is this very frequently done? Or in practice, does the new Executive Committee approve the minutes most of the time?

It can be done either way.  Mr. Mervosh might want to weigh in with his own experience, but in my experience I believe that most such boards (and executive committees) do not appoint a minutes approval committee but leave it to the "new" board to approve the minutes of the previous meeting.  In practice, I believe there are usually some members from the "old" board who are re-elected for another term.  Boards also often have staggered terms, where only part of the board is up for election at one time.  RONR does not require that members have attended a meeting in order to offer and vote on corrections to the minutes of a meeting they did not attend.

On 12/6/2021 at 4:10 PM, George Mervosh said:

On 12/6/2021 at 5:26 PM, user said:

This is what often happens. However, this does not follow the rules in RONR. If the practice stated by Mr. Mervosh is not followed, then RONR states that the alternative is "minutes that have not been approved previously should be approved before final adjournment". RONR (12th ed.) 48:12

That is, the minutes of the last meeting of the term should be approved at the end of that meeting.

It is almost always more practical to appoint a special committee.

On 12/6/2021 at 11:22 PM, Atul Kapur said:

This is what often happens. However, this does not follow the rules in RONR. If the practice stated by Mr. Mervosh is not followed, then RONR states that the alternative is "minutes that have not been approved previously should be approved before final adjournment". RONR (12th ed.) 48:12

That is, the minutes of the last meeting of the term should be approved at the end of that meeting.

It is almost always more practical to appoint a special committee.

48:12 is what I was referring to in my recommendation.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.