The Official RONR Q & A Forums

terminology: referendum

rbk

Is it proper to call a question as to whether to accept a proposed budget a referendum?

The ballot we create when we consider whether to elect someone to our organization says something like, "Shall Jane Smith be elected to membership in XYZ." The ballot response options are "yes" and "no." Can that ballot question be called a referendum?

On 2/10/2022 at 7:29 AM, rbk said:

Is it proper to call a question as to whether to accept a proposed budget a referendum?

The ballot we create when we consider whether to elect someone to our organization says something like, "Shall Jane Smith be elected to membership in XYZ." The ballot response options are "yes" and "no." Can that ballot question be called a referendum?

RONR has no direct answer to this question. This term does not appear in RONR.

Generally, this term is used to refer to a question placed upon the ballot for the electorate of a nation, state, or municipality to decide a question directly, as opposed to the question being decided by the legislature. Although not the original use, some private societies do also use the term in a similar manner - that is, a question decided directly by the membership of the organization in a ballot question, as opposed to the question being decided by the organization's Board of Directors (or other governing body). As noted above, RONR does not use this term. Ultimately, it will be up to the organization whether to use the term.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:47 AM, Joshua Katz said:

Agreeing with Mr. Martin, I wonder if the organization has a rule that causes it to matter, i.e. a different procedural requirement. OP, is that the case, and if so, would you mind quoting the rule?

Mr. Katz,
My organization has no rule that causes it to matter. The term referendum does not appear in any of our governing documents. Is there a better term to use to describe a "question decided directly by the membership of the organization in a ballot question"? The terms question and ballot question can be ambiguous in some contexts, especially when brevity is needed, e.g., in the subject line of an email. (I deeply appreciate this forum and your and Mr. Martin's expertise.)

On 2/10/2022 at 10:42 AM, rbk said:

The term referendum does not appear in any of our governing documents.

In that case, calling it that seems neither a harm nor an advantage. 

Is there a better term to use to describe a "question decided directly by the membership of the organization in a ballot question"?

I would defer to Mr. Martin on this. I can't think of a good term at the moment.

Mr. Katz,
My organization has no rule that causes it to matter. The term referendum does not appear in any of our governing documents. Is there a better term to use to describe a "question decided directly by the membership of the organization in a ballot question"? The terms question and ballot question can be ambiguous in some contexts, especially when brevity is needed, e.g., in the subject line of an email. (I deeply appreciate this forum and your and Mr. Martin's expertise.)

It may help if you tell us what type of questions need to be decided by the full membership vs those that are decided by a smaller body (e.g., your executive board or a "council" if you have one).

I don't have a problem with "referendum" in the context you describe.

I find the term "referendum" ambiguous and confusing when used in the context of a main motion that a budget be adopted.  I would not recommend it.

"Shall Jane Smith be elected to membership in XYZ."

Again, "referendum" in the context of a main motion that someone be admitted as a member, is ambiguous and confusing.  I would not recommend it.

On 2/10/2022 at 9:42 AM, rbk said:

Mr. Katz,

It's sounding to me the issue here is less what to call this and more how to get the attention of the membership so they open the email. Why not put something like "IMPORTANT - PLEASE VOTE" in the subject line?

(This is solely my personal suggestion and not based on anything in RONR.)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.