The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Straw Polls

Alexander George

RR forbids straw polls.  One solution is to move to enter the Committee of the Whole (in order to conduct the poll there).  This gives members the choice of whether they wish to suspend discussion of the motion at hand in order to take a straw poll.  One member of my (academic) organization asks whether the rules can be changed so as to permit straw polls without using the device of the Committee of the Whole.  I'd appreciate your thoughts about this.  Thanks.

Edited by Alexander George

Thank you, Mr. Kapur.  Would you be able to expand on that?  How might such a motion to change the rules be formulated (and would that require a 2/3 majority)?  And once the rules are changed to allow for straw polls, what is the nature of the motion requesting such a poll and how does it fit into the order of priority of other motions?

With thanks,

Alexander George

On 4/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, Alexander George said:

How might such a motion to change the rules be formulated (and would that require a 2/3 majority)?

I would suggest what you are looking for are either 1. A special rule of order on the matter or 2. a Bylaw amendment on the matter (the former being preferred in my opinion). 

To adopt special rules of order requires (a.) previous notice and a 2/3s vote or (b.) a vote of a majority of the entire membership. (RONR 2:22). 

On 4/4/2022 at 11:42 AM, Alexander George said:

And once the rules are changed to allow for straw polls, what is the nature of the motion requesting such a poll and how does it fit into the order of priority of other motions?

As for the rest of your inquiry, Mr. George, I believe your group in their rules would have to determine that. 

As you know, RONR does not have rules on the matter - you would be creating a custom rule that hopefully would make clear how the rule would work.  

On 4/4/2022 at 6:11 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Occasionally, the subsidiary motion, Postpone Indefinitely, is used to test the strength of the side opposing the main motion.  See RONR (12th ed.) 11:5 for the details.

Yes, that makes more sense, is less cumbersome than Committee of the Whole, and requires no special rule.

In my view, if you like straw polls you might also enjoy a special rule allowing anyone to stand up and whistle It's a Small World After All for ten minutes or so, for no particular reason. 🙂

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.