The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Notice and Adjournment

laser158689

On 5/6/2022 at 3:16 PM, laser158689 said:

Several items are noticed prior to a meeting in the Call.  The meeting adjourns before getting to one or more of those items.  The assembly meets monthly.

Do the items that were not brought up carry over as unfinished business?

Maybe.

Items which are made orders of the day are carried over to the next meeting as Unfinished Business if they are not reached prior to adjournment. Including an item in the call of a meeting, in and of itself, does not make it an order of the day. But if the items were made orders of the day (such as by being included on an agenda adopted by the assembly), they would then become Unfinished Business for the next meeting.

Edited by Josh Martin

To address those items that were not brought up...

1) Chair can simply put them on the Call for the next meeting and try again

2) Assembly could do "something" to "send" them to the next meeting.  Options include...

• adopt an agenda including those item which would make them Orders of the Day and they would become Unfinished Business for the next meeting
  • take each up individually and Postpone it (to the next meeting)
  • suspend the rules to Postpone all of them (to the next meeting)
  • any other options?

3) ??

And thanks so much for the replies!

On 5/9/2022 at 9:26 AM, laser158689 said:

To address those items that were not brought up...

1) Chair can simply put them on the Call for the next meeting and try again

2) Assembly could do "something" to "send" them to the next meeting.  Options include...

• adopt an agenda including those item which would make them Orders of the Day and they would become Unfinished Business for the next meeting
  • take each up individually and Postpone it (to the next meeting)
  • suspend the rules to Postpone all of them (to the next meeting)
  • any other options?

3) ??

And thanks so much for the replies!

I think #2 is a pretty good list, although it should be noted if these are postponed they technically become General Orders, not Unfinished Business. (Although General Orders are taken up immediately after Unfinished Business, so this is probably not a huge distinction in most cases.)

On 5/9/2022 at 12:04 PM, laser158689 said:

@Josh Martin

Thank you for the clarification.  I've got to say, this concept of "orders" (general and special) has been a source of some frustration in my reading RONR, and falls under my general gripe of "Where is the definition of this technical term?"

See RONR 12th ed. 41:40 and subsequent paragraphs.  I believe they are defined in 41:41.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.