The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Is an emergency change of location valid?

Guest Savanna

We were notified that our usual meeting location would not be available on the same day that our bylaws stated we had to post the notice of meeting/change. The board chose to keep the meeting time and change the location. The official notice was not posted by our usual meeting time the 10 days prior our bylaws stated(as we did not have one due to lack of notice) to the general membership. The Board and Officers had the change of location by then in writing...can the BOD still have their board meeting?

If I understand the question, it would be possible for one  person to go to the location and, after calling the meeting to order and electing himself secretary pro tem, to schedule an adjourned meeting.  See Section 22 and "Flexibility of Adjourned Meetings" here (p. 5):   https://issuu.com/parliamentarians/docs/np_76_1

On 5/15/2022 at 7:54 AM, J. J. said:

If I understand the question, it would be possible for one  person to go to the location and, after calling the meeting to order and electing himself secretary pro tem, to schedule an adjourned meeting.  See Section 22 and "Flexibility of Adjourned Meetings" here (p. 5):   https://issuu.com/parliamentarians/docs/np_76_1

I imagine your understanding of what happened is correct and I agree completely with your solution. In addition, thank you for posting the link to the article! I intend to use it and share it myself whenever the opportunity arises – and if I can remember how to find it!

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.