The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Standing Committee Duties

Guest Beverly

Can the duties of one Standing Committee be carried out by another Standing Committee.  For example a Standing Committee duties are to raises funds for scholarships, community projects, and operations. Can another Standing Committee whose duties are to use specific criteria to award scholarships also raise funds?  

On 8/7/2022 at 9:58 PM, Rob Elsman said:

However, each says in its lane, so to speak; and, the areas of care must not overlap.

So, in your example, the Finance Committee and the Awards Committee would not overlap and each raise funds for the planned awards.  They would leave this, fundraising, up to the fundraising committee, correct?

Edited by Tapestry

I intended to give a common sense, general example.  In your particular case, it will be necessary to examine the rules that govern the activities of your organization's committees to see which committee has the care over which activity.  In some organizations, this division and assignment of care is called committee "jurisdiction".  "Jurisdiction" seems a little bit awkward of a term to me, so I prefer to speak of the areas of care assigned to each committee.  When a standing committee is first established, the areas of care that are assigned to the committee should be explicitly and carefully set out in the founding resolution in order to minimize the kinds of questions that are being raised in this post.  Not infrequently, the assignments of areas of care are incorporated into the bylaws of the organization.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.