The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Censuring all officers in a single motion

BVKO

On 9/12/2022 at 4:51 PM, puzzling said:

62:2 A trial must be held in executive session, as must the introduction and consideration off all resolutions leading up.to the trial. 

That's not what 62:2 says.  Perhaps you are referring to 63:2, which does say that.

Of course, if the organization has its own procedures for discipline of officers this will not be applicable, nor will it be applicable for removal for office if the wording of terms of office in the bylaws permits removal from office without using the disciplinary procedures of RONR as provided in  62:16.

On 9/12/2022 at 11:08 PM, Richard Brown said:

That's not what 62:2 says.  Perhaps you are referring to 63:2, which does say that.

corrected.

but still puzzling is 63:9 the introduction as mentioned in this quote and does that mean that the motion must be made in an executive session or not?

On 9/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, puzzling said:

this is very close to the example in RONR 63:9

I think that if you want to make this motion than you should also keep to the rules is RNOR 63 meaning:

This motion can only be made in an executive session where only members are present.

We lack sufficient facts at this time to know whether the formal disciplinary procedures in Section 63 are required for the removal of officers. So I'm not certain this is necessarily an "investigative committee" in the sense that term is used in Section 63, and therefore it may not be required to enter executive session for this matter, although it would certainly seem advisable to do so in any event.

On 9/12/2022 at 4:04 PM, puzzling said:

so you first must make a motion like "I move that we go into executive session so that I can make a motion relating to the contract to repaint the ????"

The motion to enter executive session can be (and probably should be) as simple as "I move to enter executive session." If that is insufficient information for members to decide whether to vote in favor of this motion, additional details can be provided in debate. It would be advisable to keep such details as vague as possible.

On 9/12/2022 at 5:32 PM, puzzling said:

but still puzzling is 63:9 the introduction as mentioned in this quote and does that mean that the motion must be made in an executive session or not?

Under the formal disciplinary procedures in Section 63, my view is that a resolution to form an investigative committee must be made in executive session, as it seems to me this is a resolution leading up to the trial.

We do not know whether this organization is required to use the formal disciplinary procedures in Section 63, and therefore the investigative committee formed here, although similar in kind, may not be bound by the rules in Section 63 on this matter. If the rules in Section 63 are not applicable, then the organization is not required to enter executive session for such matters (at least not due to any rule in RONR), but it would still seem to me that it would be highly advisable to enter executive session, even if this is not strictly required.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.