The Official RONR Q & A Forums

45:31 Recording the votes

Tomm

Am I understanding this correctly? (probably not).

It appears that this citation is stating that if more than half of those present abstain from casting a vote, then the motion automatically dies or is indeterminant?

"...a choice has no mandate unless approval is expressed by more than half of those entitled to vote..."  

What does this mean? What happened to "members present and voting"? 

On 9/18/2022 at 5:46 PM, Tomm said:

Am I understanding this correctly? (probably not).

It appears that this citation is stating that if more than half of those present abstain from casting a vote, then the motion automatically dies or is indeterminant?

"...a choice has no mandate unless approval is expressed by more than half of those entitled to vote..."  

What does this mean? What happened to "members present and voting"? 

A better question might be, what happened to the rest of the sentence that you're quoting? 

On 9/18/2022 at 3:35 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

what happened to the rest of the sentence that you're quoting? 

If you're referring to the part about recording the votes and having no evidence of a preference; that only confuses be more.

What is it you are not recording if approval was less than half?

I know I'm missing something. 

45:31 "Recording the votes. In recording the votes cast, the principle followed is that a choice has no mandate from the voting body unless approval is expressed by more than half of those entitled to vote and registering any evidence of having some preference. Accordingly, the tellers ignore blank ballots and other ballots that indicate no preference, treating them as abstentions. (Blank ballots are sometimes cast by members to conceal the fact that they do not wish to vote.)

45:32 "All ballots that indicate a preference—provided they have been cast by persons entitled to vote—are taken into account in determining the number of votes cast for purposes of computing the majority. ..."

The words "those entitled to vote and registering any evidence of having some preference" can be understood in the light of what the rest of the rules in this subsection say.

If you read the three four sentences quoted above together with each other, I think the meaning will become clear. 

And they say nothing about the number of members present, so I don't know why that is part of your confusion at all. 

Edited by Shmuel Gerber

On 9/18/2022 at 6:43 PM, Tomm said:

What is it you are not recording

Blank ballots, ballots on which no candidate has been selected, and ballots cast by persons not entitled to vote. None of these are credited to any candidate, nor are they used in calculating the number needed for a majority. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.