The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Process for Board Members to add Agenda Items?

Guest Steve L

Team,

I have a Chair that refuses to take agenda item requests prior to meetings.  Adding agenda items to our board meeting is not covered in our organizational rules.  Wondering if Roberts Rules dictates a procedure to be used since our organizational rules are silent.  If I must move to "amend the agenda" during the meeting, does it require a vote and if so, does that require just simple majority?  Lastly, wondering if there are best practices to get past what I consider to be censorship?

Thanks!

Steve

The chair is under no obligation to take requests prior to the meetings, although doing so certainly streamlines things.

When the agenda is up for adoption at the meeting, you can move to amend to add your item. It will require a majority vote. If you want to amend it after it has been adopted, it will take a 2/3 vote or a majority of the entire membership voting in the affirmative.

Finally, if your organization meets quarterly or more often, you likely have no need for an agenda.

Thanks Joshua and Gary!  Being pretty new to Parliamentary Procedure, I have follow-up questions:

- Joshua - if I move to amend the agenda to add several items (prior to it being adopted) and others do as well.  Do we enter debate on each added agenda item individually, or at all?

- Gary - what are the mechanics of addressing a new item under New Business?  Do I have to make a motion to discuss Topic A, get it seconded and debate whether we'll discuss it?  

Sorry for the new-guy level questions!

Steve

On 12/6/2022 at 4:01 PM, Guest Steve L said:

- Gary - what are the mechanics of addressing a new item under New Business?  Do I have to make a motion to discuss Topic A, get it seconded and debate whether we'll discuss it?  

First a caveat--your organization may have special rules of order or bylaws provisions that supersede RONR, and you should become familiar with both of those documents, as well as what's in RONR.  New-guy level questions are welcome, and suggest that you should get yourself a copy of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised in Brief, 3rd edition, (known here as RONRIB) which will get you up to clueful status in no time. It contains the 20% that is most useful 80% of the time, and citations to the big book when necessary.

Now, if the rules in RONR do apply, there should be a section of the agenda (or if you are not using an agenda, a section of the standard order of business) entitled New Business.  In an agenda, this may have no items listed in it, but that's fine.  Under New Business, you may simply seek recognition ("Mr. President!") and when recognized ("Mr. L.?") rise and say "I move that the clubhouse be painted a pale shade of green."  If possible, have someone prepared to say "Second!" even without being prompted to do so. 

And then you're off and running.  

There's no need for a motion and vote to consider the matter.  That's taken care in a heartbeat by the word "Second!"  The chair should state the motion and open the floor to debate, which as the mover you're entitled to first crack at, and you get right down to the merits of the action.

On 12/6/2022 at 3:01 PM, Guest Steve L said:

- Joshua - if I move to amend the agenda to add several items (prior to it being adopted) and others do as well.  Do we enter debate on each added agenda item individually, or at all?

You move to amend, and, assuming there's a second (if not a small board), there is then debate (if any, often there isn't) and either a vote or, more commonly, unanimous consent. Then you do the next one. You can't have more than one primary amendment pending, and it's unlikely you'd need to worry about secondary amendments in this context.

Executive boards that meet as frequently as quarterly should not be in the habit of adopting an agenda at the beginning of each meeting.  Unless it is not practical or applicable, the standard order of business given in RONR (12th ed.) 41:5 should be used as the established order of business.  If RONR (12th ed.) is the organization's parliamentary authority, the standard order of business is generally obligatory.

The president or secretary may prepare a memorandum of the items of business listed under the basic headings to assist the president in calling up the items of business in the proper order.  If it seems opportune, this memorandum may be circulated to the members before or at the meeting; however, it must be understood that this memorandum is for information only—it is not intended to be adopted.

For a discussion of the order of business, carefully read RONR (12th ed.) §41.  This section is packed with useful information that will be helpful for this board.

On 12/9/2022 at 2:41 PM, laser158689 said:

Would Previous Notice of Motions [RONR (12th ed.) 10:44-51] help in this situation?  Does that obligate the Chair/Secretary to 1) include the motion in the Call 2) to include the motion on the proposed Agenda?

Providing previous notice of a motion does require the Secretary to include the motion in the call, but it does not require the motion to be included in the proposed agenda. The agenda may, however, be amended when it is pending for adoption, or the motion may be made under New Business.

I would note, however, that I believe this option is limited to motions which either require previous notice or where previous notice would lower the threshold for adoption. I do not believe a member can require the Secretary to include any motion whatsoever in the call.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.