The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Timing of Election of oficers

Guest Sean

I am trying to get clarification on the proper order for Election of Officers

In the month of April we have a regular monthly meeting. As soon as the monthly meeting ends a call to order takes place for our AGM.

The first item on the AGM meeting is election of new officers. One election is completed the gavel is then passed and the new Executive and President takes charge of the AGM.

Does this sound correct on election timing or is there other options

Ordinarily, the bylaws designate one of the regular meetings as the annual meeting, in which case there would be no adjournment and immediate call to order. Were I in your organization, I would question whether the bylaws actually require this.

As far as there is information to go on, the procedure outlined seems to be proper. I note especially that the newly elected president takes the chair immediately, which is correct unless the bylaws provide otherwise.

Agreeing with Mr. Elsman, unless your bylaws provide to the contrary, RONR provides that newly elected officers take office immediately, instantaneously, upon being elected.  Therefore, unless your rules provide to the contrary, if you elect the new president first, which is customary, he becomes president the instant the election results are announced and can assume the chair at that point. 

Although it is rather common for new officers to take over upon adjournment of the annual meeting, such a provision should be actually be in your bylaws if you do not want the new officers to take office instantaneously upon being elected.

However, if the outgoing and incoming officers agree and if there is no objection, the outgoing president may continue to preside until the end of the meeting.  It's still best to clarify that in your bylaws, though.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.