The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive Board Power

SWeaver

Our chapter has been given recommendations by a governing officer. A sub committee was voted to develop a plan to execute the recommendations. The chapter has voted to approve the plan.

The President is not complying because she states that it is not aligned with the Bylaws.

The Bylaws state that Regional Director has the authority to exercise supervision and address problems in her region. Furthermore, the Bylaws state that each chapter shall have the power to address matters of differences between members.

On 2/7/2023 at 1:45 PM, SWeaver said:

Our chapter has been given recommendations by a governing officer. A sub committee was voted to develop a plan to execute the recommendations. The chapter has voted to approve the plan.

The President is not complying because she states that it is not aligned with the Bylaws.

Because we are simply told "The President is not complying because she states that it is not aligned with the Bylaws," and no reasoning for this statement is provided, I have no idea whether this is correct, and therefore express no view on whether the plan complies with the bylaws.

Speaking generally, however, I would note that it is up to the organization itself to interpret its bylaws. If the President believes the plan does not comply with the bylaws, the proper course of action would be for the President to make a ruling to that effect, at a meeting. Such a ruling may be appealed from, and it is ultimately the assembly which will determine this matter.

It is not proper for the President to simply refuse to carry out the organization's orders. If the chapter maintains its view that the plan complies with the bylaws, and the President continues to refuse to carry it out, then it seems to me that the chapter should get a new President. See FAQ #20 for more information.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 2/8/2023 at 3:35 PM, Rob Elsman said:

The purported noncompliance appears to pertain to matters not having to do with meetings, so it seems to me to mostly fall ouside the purview of parliamentary law.

Not sure about that, as long as they don't conflict with the bylaws the membershlp can make motions that the board has to comply with.

In the present situation there seems to be an overarching  governing body whose rules apply to chapters

And I have not seen them yet

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.