The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Should bylaws include motivations?

JamesMcLean

What are opinions on the wisdom of including motivating factors in Bylaws.  As specific example, someone has proposed an amendment: "…3 members elected in even years and 4 members elected in odd years. This ensures continuity on the Committee from one year to the next."  Is it a good idea to include the second sentence in the Bylaws?

My bias is to minimize the words in the Bylaws, because otherwise Bylaws can expand to to the point that it harder to find pertinent rules.  I think I understand the motivation to add this sentence, but I don't think it adds to the utility of the document.

On 4/6/2023 at 2:26 PM, JamesMcLean said:

What are opinions on the wisdom of including motivating factors in Bylaws.  As specific example, someone has proposed an amendment: "…3 members elected in even years and 4 members elected in odd years. This ensures continuity on the Committee from one year to the next."  Is it a good idea to include the second sentence in the Bylaws?

My bias is to minimize the words in the Bylaws, because otherwise Bylaws can expand to to the point that it harder to find pertinent rules.  I think I understand the motivation to add this sentence, but I don't think it adds to the utility of the document.

Adding the additional language is optional and up to the members of your organization.  It certainly is not necessary and most of our regular participants would probably advise against it.  I personally see no harm in it and it preserves for posterity what the rationale is for electing three members in even years and four members in odd years.  That method of electing board members is common, but adding the rationale is not.

What are opinions on the wisdom of including motivating factors in Bylaws.

In my view, it is not wise.

Is it a good idea to include the second sentence in the Bylaws?

No.

I don't think this sentence adds anything to the meaning of the rule in question. It would be best to leave it out. To the extent it is desired to have some sort of "explainer" document regarding the rationale of the drafters of the bylaws, I would advise that this be separate from the bylaws themselves.

I think in other cases, this could be an even bigger problem, and the attempt to explain the rule may introduce ambiguity in the meaning of the rule. (Although I don't think that is as much of an issue in this particular case.)

Edited by Josh Martin

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.