The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Outside organization changed name

P. Wanger

I was asked to look over a 53-year old constitution for a teacher's organization that was recently discovered. Within the constitution it uses the former name for the state level teacher's association. I advised the organization that they needed to run the change through their amendment process. Was I correct in that statement, or can the constitution just be edited because the outside organization changed its name?

On 4/27/2023 at 9:42 AM, P. Wanger said:

I was asked to look over a 53-year old constitution for a teacher's organization that was recently discovered. Within the constitution it uses the former name for the state level teacher's association. I advised the organization that they needed to run the change through their amendment process. Was I correct in that statement, or can the constitution just be edited because the outside organization changed its name?

You are correct.  The Constitution can only be amended via the amendment process contained within it.  When there is a separate constitution, its rules supersede those in the bylaws, so it would be a good idea to tend to it rather quickly.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.