The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Announcing purpose of closed meeting

SKT

Hi,

We are an organization with members who want to know everything about everything all the time right away.

We all live in the same building. 

I'm wondering if Robert says anything about announcing the purpose of a closed board meeting.

Or whether we need to announce to the members that the board is holding a closed meeting?

Thank you.

On 5/9/2023 at 6:15 PM, SKT said:

Hi,

We are an organization with members who want to know everything about everything all the time right away.

I'm wondering if Robert says anything about announcing the purpose of a closed board meeting.

No, Robert's Rules of Order neither require nor prohibit doing so.

Or whether we need to announce to the members that the board is holding a closed meeting?

As I said, nothing in Robert's Rules of Order requires that you do so. 

Hi,

Thank you.

RONR does not.  However, things may be different depending on the type of organization you have.  For instance some homeowners' associations are regulated by state law, and some have more strict regulations about how and why a board may enter into executive session (closed meeting).  

What sort of organization is this?

On 5/9/2023 at 5:15 PM, SKT said:

I agree with my colleagues that Robert's Rules of Order contains no such requirement and is silent on the issue.  I also agree that state law might well have provisions regarding executive sessions (closed meetings) and what notice, if any, might be required.  This is rather common with laws governing homeowner-type associations.

However, you should also review all of your governing documents and other adopted rules carefully for such a provision.  It would most likely be in your bylaws, but if you are incorporated it could be contained in your articles of incorporation or your declaration.

On 5/10/2023 at 12:25 PM, SKT said:

Thanks for the responses and yes, we are governed by state law. It speaks to when the board can go into a closed meeting but says nothing about notice to menmbers.

Well, I assume members are notified of when board meetings occur.  Executive session is not a separate meeting, but a portion of a normal regular or special meeting, so separate notice would not be necessary.

Besides, during executive session it is likely that only board members (and others invited specifically) would be permitted to remain.  Do your bylaws say anything about that?

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.