The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending the rules in committees

Tomm

Because "A committees may not adopt its own rules except as authorized in the rules of the society or in instructions given to the committee by its parent assembly in a particular case." 50:26.

So...is it safe to say that; other than any rule initially authorized by the parent assembly during the creation of a committee, the committee cannot suspend the rules of any other rule? (i.e. suspend the rule and replace the committee chair). 

RONR (12th ed.) 50:26 also tells us that committees of organized societies operate under, among other things, the society's parliamentary authority. If the society's parliamentary authority is RONR (12th ed.), what is said in RONR (12th ed.) §25 is operative in such committees, since there is no specific indication to the contrary anywhere in the book.

On 9/23/2023 at 6:56 AM, Rob Elsman said:

Mr. Honemann, both of your hyperlinks simply refer back to this thread, which is not what I think you intended. 🙂

Yes, thanks, they certainly did and so I have deleted that post.  I may try again later after I have had a cup of coffee.  🙂

On 9/22/2023 at 9:58 PM, Tomm said:

Because "A committees may not adopt its own rules except as authorized in the rules of the society or in instructions given to the committee by its parent assembly in a particular case." 50:26.

So...is it safe to say that; other than any rule initially authorized by the parent assembly during the creation of a committee, the committee cannot suspend the rules of any other rule? (i.e. suspend the rule and replace the committee chair). 

Take a look this thread and this thread

On 9/22/2023 at 8:58 PM, Tomm said:

As a general matter, I am inclined to think that a committee may suspend rules in the parliamentary authority, except those circumstances where the parliamentary authority specifically provides that a committee cannot do something - for example, the rules prohibiting a committee from limiting debate, unless otherwise ordered by the parent assembly. Suspending a rule in a particular instance is not the same as adopting a rule.

In regard to the specific example, I believe a committee could suspend the rules for the purpose of replacing the presiding officer for part or all of a session.

As for suspending rules outside of the parliamentary authority, that is perhaps a more difficult question - see the threads Mr. Honemann has linked to for lengthy discussions on that subject.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.