The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Incumbent opposed speech

Guest Michelle Edwards

Guest Michelle Edwards

I am an incumbent for a non profit for Vice Chair. I have someone running against me and we are given a few minutes to talk about why we want the position. Who speaks first? 

I want to go last but in case I get push back, I need a reference point. 

On 10/14/2023 at 11:39 PM, Guest Michelle Edwards said:

I am an incumbent for a non profit for Vice Chair. I have someone running against me and we are given a few minutes to talk about why we want the position. Who speaks first? 

This is not a question concerning RONR, but is instead a question concerning your organization's own rules which provide that candidates "are given a few minutes to talk about why we want the position." As a result, RONR has no guidance on the speaking order. If your organization's rules are unclear, it seems to me this will be at the assembly's discretion.

What little RONR has to say about this subject is as follows. It does not provide a set speaking order. Rather, speakers would be recognized in the order they seek recognition. RONR also alludes to the possibility that an organization may adopt its own rules on this subject, as your organization has done.

"In large conventions, nominations are sometimes accompanied by a speech advocating the nominee's election. The nomination may then be seconded by one or more members also making speeches. In ordinary societies, however, such speeches are less common.

To give a nominating or seconding speech, a member must first be recognized by the chair while the floor is open for nominations. The member may then nominate a candidate and, without waiting for the chair to state the nomination, speak in favor of the candidate, or he or she may speak in favor of a candidate who was nominated previously. If candidates are members of the organization, speakers must exercise caution to avoid making any personal criticisms of them in debate. Rather than attacking a nominee, a speaker may advocate the election of a rival candidate. By a two-thirds vote, the assembly may adopt a motion limiting debate to any extent desired (15).

Some organizations adopt rules specifying that debate on nominations be conducted at a different time or in a different manner. Such a rule might, for example, allot each candidate (or his or her designee) equal time to state the candidate's credentials and to argue for the candidate's election." RONR (12tth ed.) 46:27-29

On 10/15/2023 at 12:39 AM, Guest Michelle Edwards said:

I would assume that it would be in the order that you were each nominated.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.