The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Executive session

Quest

Since a motion to go into executive session is regularly a debatable main motion (which can be admitted as a question of privilege affecting the rights and privileges of the assembly), it does not seem to me to be appropriate to handle the matter by just announcing an executive session on the chair's own volition.  There are just too many steps missing for the proper handling of a matter that importantly affects the rights and privileges of the assembly. The assembly gets to debate and decide the question. So, no; this is not a circumstance where the necessary motion is obvious and can be assumed by the chair. And, outside the context of a small board, the chair should refrain from actions during the meeting that might give the appearance of partiality or partisanship.

On 10/25/2023 at 7:41 PM, Quest said:

Our chair did not take a vote to enter executive session. He just stated we are now going into executive session. Did concensus + no challenge equal a vote?

While the end result may be the same, I concur with Mr. Elsman that what occurred was not a proper request for unanimous consent. To the extent that an assumed motion was proper (which is not clear from the limited facts), the chair should have at least asked if there was any objection or, at a minimum, prefaced his remarks with "Without objection," so it's clear this is a request for unanimous consent, not a decree by the chair.

I don't think it changes anything for what already happened, but the chair should do a better job of making unanimous consent requests clearer in the future.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.