The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Bylaws Ambiguity re: Voting Methods

UnquoteWist

Hello! My organization has a wildly insufficient constitution and bylaws. They haven't been updated since about 2016 and are riddled with problems. We're working on a constitutional committee, but there are issues that we need to address now. There is an ambiguity on non-constitutional votes and I'd like to hear your opinions. There is no judiciary or contingency points to resolve this in any of the documentation. It seems like it's more likely that the discrepancy between the simple majority and two-thirds majority is an editorial oversight during a previous change than intended because it doesn't make sense to have different thresholds for verbal vs two-thirds. Constitutional votes are specified to be two-thirds. We have no changelog record or contact with the writers of these documents.

§6 Voting methods.

i. Constitutional Amendments:

1. All votes must be motioned by a member other than the vice-president. 

A. The motion must be seconded.

2. A paper vote must be performed.

3. Two-thirds majority required to pass.

i. Non-constitutional:

1. All votes must be motioned by a member other than the vice-president. 

A. The motion must be seconded.

2. A verbal vote in favor and opposed (simple majority).

A. If the verbal vote is too close to call, or if a member challenges the results of the verbal vote, then a paper vote will be performed.

B. Two-thirds majority required to pass.

I know that RONR says that ambiguities are up to the organization to interpret, and that a simple majority is all that's required to decide on an interpretation, but does that still apply if it's about voting thresholds?

Has your organization adopted RONR as your parliamentary authority? If it has, it appears that almost all of those provisions can be eliminated since they duplicate, for the most part, the procedures specified in RONR.  The provision that you cite that clearly differs from RONR is the requirement for a 2/3 vote if a ballot vote is necessary after an inconclusive voice vote. Under RONR, the subsequent ballot vote would still be a majority vote.

And just out of curiosity, what does your organization have against its vice president?

On 11/5/2023 at 4:54 PM, Bruce Lages said:

Has your organization adopted RONR as your parliamentary authority? If it has, it appears that almost all of those provisions can be eliminated since they duplicate, for the most part, the procedures specified in RONR.  The provision that you cite that clearly differs from RONR is the requirement for a 2/3 vote if a ballot vote is necessary after an inconclusive voice vote. Under RONR, the subsequent ballot vote would still be a majority vote.

And just out of curiosity, what does your organization have against its vice president?

Ah! I forgot to add that. No, there is no official mention of RONR, but I plan to make that official soon hopefully. Hahaha I have no idea why the VP is singled out like that. 

Do you think it seem like the intention of the original text was to have a simple majority? I know RONR usually stays away from "intent" as a justification, but just curious.

Edited by UnquoteWist
add info

@UnquoteWistThey are your bylaws, but as Mr. Lages pointed out, it sure seems strange that if a voice vote on a motion that requires a majority vote for passage is inconclusive and a ballot vote is then taken it requires a two-thirds vote for the same motion to pass.

Requiring a two-thirds vote to adopt bylaw amendments is quite common and is the rule in RONR if the bylaws are silent.  It is pretty much the norm.

On 11/5/2023 at 5:14 PM, Richard Brown said:

@UnquoteWistThey are your bylaws, but as Mr. Lages pointed out, it sure seems strange that if a voice vote on a motion that requires a majority vote for passage is inconclusive and a ballot vote is then taken it requires a two-thirds vote for the same motion to pass.

Requiring a two-thirds vote to adopt bylaw amendments is quite common and is the rule in RONR if the bylaws are silent.  It is pretty much the norm.

Thanks for your response (and to everyone else as well!). I'm relatively new to this, but this technical stuff is really interesting to me. Thanks for the intent comment, Bruce.

This is the only place in our bylaws and constitution that talks about voting, so EVERYTHING is currently being held to that 2/3rds majority. We had a vote about making a feedback form anonymous, and since it only received 58% of the vote, the chair said it didn't pass. The argument is that "non-constitutional votes" includes literally EVERYTHING that isn't a constitutional amendment. 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.