The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Section references

Katy

You need to have RONR, 12th edition; that reference is for Section 56, paragraph 50, which describes the bylaw article that specifies the procedure for amending bylaws.

All of the section:paragraph notations are found in the left-hand margins of the 12th edition pages.

Edited by Bruce Lages

If you have the 12th edition of Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, each paragraph is numbered in the margin like 56:50, which is section 56, paragraph 50.

It should say:

56:50
Article IX: Amendment of Bylaws. The bylaws should
always prescribe the procedure for their amendment, and such
provision should always require at least that advance notice
be given in a specified manner, and that the amendment be
approved by a two-thirds vote. If the bylaws contain no
provision for their amendment, they can be amended by a two-
thirds vote if previous notice (in the sense defined in 10:44)
has been given, or they can be amended by the vote of a
majority of the entire membership. In making a requirement
that notice be given by submitting the amendment at a
meeting in advance of the one at which it is to be considered,
the provision should always specify submission at “the
previous meeting,” and not “a” previous meeting, since the
latter would permit indefinite delay and would defeat the object
of giving notice—namely, to alert the members to the proposed
amendment so that all those interested can arrange to be
present at its consideration. The requirement of notice restricts
amendment of the proposed bylaw amendment to changes
within the scope of the notice, as explained in 57:10–13 (see
also 35:2(6)).

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Earlier editions of Robert’s Rules of order do not use section and paragraph numbers like the 12th edition dies. That’s New in the 12th edition.  Prior editions of RONR were cited by page number and line number.

however, prior additions of RONR, do use essentially the same section numbers, just not paragraph numbers. So if something is in section 56:50 of the 12th edition, it will almost certainly be somewhere in section 56 of the 11th edition and even prior editions

Edited by Richard Brown
Typographical corrections

On 11/7/2023 at 3:18 PM, Katy said:

Thanks, but Section 56 is 20 pages long. Could you please send me the first ten words of §56:50, for example? That way I can figure out where it might be.... I appreciate your help. (I have the 10th edition.)

I have quoted the entirety  of 56:50 above.  Look up.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
typo

On 11/7/2023 at 3:29 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

Look up.

Great advice! Can I ask a favour? There's a person on this forum who regularly doesn't read the entire thread before replying to a post made near the beginning of the thread. Do you mind if I quote you when that person does it the next time? 😆

Edited by Atul Kapur

Atul Kapur: "Great advice! Can I ask a favour? There's a person on this forum who regularly doesn't read the entire thread before replying to a post made near the beginning of the thread. Do you mind if I quote you when that person does it the next time? 😆" [I can't figure out how to quote you.]

Very funny. But in my defense, hopefully Mr. Novosielski will confirm that he added the whole text later, maybe?😃

On 11/7/2023 at 3:29 PM, Katy said:

But in my defense, hopefully Mr. Novosielski will confirm that he added the whole text later, maybe?😃

Well, the system shows that he edited his post five minutes after first making it, so . . . .  :wacko:

Edited to add:  Some of us do as the forum requests and state the nature of our edit and some of us don't . . . .

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

On 11/7/2023 at 3:56 PM, Atul Kapur said:

Great advice! Can I ask a favour? There's a person on this forum who regularly doesn't read the entire thread before replying to a post made near the beginning of the thread. Do you mind if I quote you when that person does it the next time? 😆

If it is that important to you, I would not dream of depriving you of the satisfaction of bringing it to my attention.  In fact I shall endeavour to arrange matters in such a way that you have periodic opportunities to do so.  😜

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.