The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Rescinded Resignation Problem

Guest Joy Clark

Seeking advice as a new Union Council President. 
Our board has a President, VP, Treasurer and Secretary. 
The Treasurer resigned via an email on Dec 20. 
I acknowledged/accepted his resignation via returned email the same day. 
On December 27, I emailed him to advise him that his badge access to our office building had been removed and that I would need to receive the office keys. I also let him know that i had been to the bank and his access would be removed in 3 days (effective January 1) 

On December 30, he emailed to rescind his resignation. I advised him that it was too late because we had already removed him from all aspects of Treasurer and begun the process of replacing him.

On January 1 our Executive Committee, following our bylaws, voted in an interim Treasurer.

On January 2, the former Treasurer sent a 6 page email to our parent organization threatening to have their Chapter decertified and threatening to quit and take many members with him.

On January 3, the parent Chapter emailed me stating that his rescinded resignation was accepted and he would remain as Treasurer, citing Roberts Rules of Order. 

Am I right to think he can no longer be Treasurer? I think the parent organization is interpreting this incorrectly. 

Please see attachment for the exact wording. 

Thank you in advance for your opinions and interpretations. 

IMG_2180.jpeg

On 1/3/2024 at 5:17 PM, Guest Joy Clark said:

On December 27, I emailed him to advise him that his badge access to our office building had been removed and that I would need to receive the office keys. I also let him know that i had been to the bank and his access would be removed in 3 days (effective January 1) 

There was no reason to do this without the assembly having accepted the resignations. I agree with the parent assembly that he rescinded his application at such a time that it could be withdrawn unilaterally.

On 1/3/2024 at 4:17 PM, Guest Joy Clark said:

You don't have the authority to accept the resignation. The body with the power to fill the vacancy is the body with the power to accept the resignation. We are told that is the Executive Committee.

It seems to me like you jumped the gun on this and should have waited until the resignation was accepted.

On December 30, he emailed to rescind his resignation. I advised him that it was too late because we had already removed him from all aspects of Treasurer and begun the process of replacing him.

As I understand the facts, the Executive Committee had not accepted the resignation. So it is, in fact, not correct that "we had already removed him from all aspects of Treasurer and begun the process of replacing him."

Since the resignation not yet been accepted by the body with the power to do so, the Treasurer had the right to withdraw his resignation.

"Is it possible to withdraw a resignation after it has been submitted?

A resignation is a Request to Be Excused from a Duty. It may be withdrawn in the same manner as any motion may be withdrawn—that is to say, before the proposed resignation has been placed before the assembly by the chair stating the question on its acceptance, it may be withdrawn without the consent of the assembly, but it may not be withdrawn without permission of the assembly once it has been placed before the assembly for its approval. [RONR (12th ed.) 32:1–8, 33:12–18.]" FAQ #18

On January 1 our Executive Committee, following our bylaws, voted in an interim Treasurer.

This action was improper, because there was, in fact, still a Treasurer in office.

Am I right to think he can no longer be Treasurer? I think the parent organization is interpreting this incorrectly. 

The parent organization is interpreting this absolutely correctly, based upon the facts provided. This person is still the Treasurer.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 1/3/2024 at 5:17 PM, Guest Joy Clark said:

Seeking advice as a new Union Council President. 
Our board has a President, VP, Treasurer and Secretary. 
The Treasurer resigned via an email on Dec 20. 

On January 2, the former Treasurer sent a 6 page email to our parent organization threatening to have their Chapter decertified and threatening to quit and take many members with him.

On January 3, the parent Chapter emailed me stating that his rescinded resignation was accepted and he would remain as Treasurer, citing Roberts Rules of Order. 

Please see attachment for the exact wording. 

Thank you in advance for your opinions and interpretations. 

`

I agree with my colleagues that the interpretation by the parent organization seems completely correct.  Since you did not have the power to accept the resignation, your actions with respect to building security and the bank would have been premature.  Since the resignation was timely rescinded, Mr. Mitchell remains in office.

Edited by Gary Novosielski
insert "and the bank"

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.