The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Supplant any action

Guest Pascal

Our City council passed an ordinance to remove the RONR as the rules to conduct meetings. By the ordinance, the RORN will only provide guidance.

In this ordinance, it says too that "in no event shall Robert's Rules of Order cause any action of the City council to be null and void or to otherwise supplant any action of the City Council.".

Does this mean in your opinion that any decision on ordinance or resolution - passed or voted down - will be final with no recourse.

Thank you.

On 1/11/2024 at 8:37 AM, Guest Pascal said:

In this ordinance, it says too that "in no event shall Robert's Rules of Order cause any action of the City council to be null and void or to otherwise supplant any action of the City Council.".

Does this mean in your opinion that any decision on ordinance or resolution - passed or voted down - will be final with no recourse.

Agreeing with Mr. Elsman, I will add that I fail to see much connection between these two statements.

On 1/11/2024 at 7:37 AM, Guest Pascal said:

Our City council passed an ordinance to remove the RONR as the rules to conduct meetings. By the ordinance, the RORN will only provide guidance.

Okay.

This seems unnecessary in light of the fact that RONR is no longer the parliamentary authority and is used only as “guidance,” but I suppose the council wanted to be extra sure about this.

I wouldn’t go that far. I think what it means is that any procedural challenge to any action of the council could not be based solely on a violation of Robert’s Rules of Order. Rather, the challenge would need to be based on some violation of the council’s own rules or applicable law.

But this is a forum about Robert’s Rules of Order, and this council has just declared that RONR is no longer its parliamentary authority. So I don’t know that our opinions count for much.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 1/11/2024 at 8:37 AM, Guest Pascal said:

Thank you.

It seems so, but that would probably be the case anyway.

If I lived there I would vote against those council members when up for reëlection. It is evidence of extremely poor judgment. 😏

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.