The Official RONR Q & A Forums

voice without vote in an executive committee

Guest david gaines

In our state wide body we have and executive committee partially composed of state officers and partially of elected members from the various districts. Some of the state officers are elected at a state convention others are appointed by the Commander. Our constitution states that the apppointed state officers have a voice but no vote in the committee.

Does the voice but no vote clause allow these members to make motions or only participate in the discussion of motions?

So far as RONR is concerned, there are members and non-members. Your rules, though, create something else, neither member nor non-member. If those rules don't specify what to do with this question, they should be amended. In the meantime, though, my personal opinion would be to start with the assumption that they are members, then take away rights they are specified not to have. So they would be allowed to make motions, in that view. But that's just me, and I'm not a member. Your organization will have to decide via a point of order and appeal process.

The phrase voice without vote is not defined in RONR, and the only reason it appears in your bylaws is that somebody saw it somewhere in someone else's bylaws (where it was similarly ill-defined) and thought it sounded cool.  I agree with Mr. Katz when he says:

On 1/12/2024 at 12:40 PM, Joshua Katz said:

Your organization will have to decide via a point of order and appeal process.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.