The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Point of Order

Guest Debra

Hi,

I sit on a BOD with approximately 20 others. Our last meeting was an absolute mess, with people interrupting a speaker who was recognized by the chair without the chair (President) regaining order. Can members call "point of order" for someone being out of order and interrupting a speaker if the chair refuses to act and maintain order? The last meeting became somewhat of a shouting match at times.

Thanks,

Debra

On 1/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, Joshua Katz said:

...but they are more the exception than the norm

I think this depends on the nature of the breaches of the rules, so I would not be willing to claim that the interruption of a speaker to raise a Point of Order is "...more the exception than the norm".

On 1/24/2024 at 11:57 AM, Rob Elsman said:

I think this depends on the nature of the breaches of the rules, so I would not be willing to claim that the interruption of a speaker to raise a Point of Order is "...more the exception than the norm".

I can pull out my copy and count how many instances there are of being permitted to interrupt a speaker and settle this, but I'm not sure it's worth it.

On 1/24/2024 at 8:54 AM, Guest Debra said:

Can members call "point of order" for someone being out of order and interrupting a speaker if the chair refuses to act and maintain order?

Yes.

The chair would then rule on that point, subject to appeal.

On 1/24/2024 at 9:03 AM, Joshua Katz said:

There are certain violations for which a point of order may interrupt a speaker, but they are more the exception than the norm. 

I read the OP’s question as asking whether a member may raise a point of order regarding a member interrupting a speaker, not asking whether a Point of Order may interrupt a speaker.

As to the latter question, it is correct that a Point of Order may only interrupt a speaker if “the point genuinely requires attention at such a time.” RONR (12th Ed.) 23:2

I am inclined to think that a Point of Order regarding an improper interruption of a speaker may interrupt a speaker.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 1/24/2024 at 11:57 AM, Rob Elsman said:

In this case it appears that the speaker is already being interrupted (presumably improperly) by others, but the chair is not intervening to prevent this.  In that case I think a point of order that the chair is failing to maintain order is appropriate.  It is also possible for another member to call the offending member to order, but it seems to me this is the chair's job, and the chair should be encouraged to perform it

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.