The Official RONR Q & A Forums

When is "Calling the question" in order

Guest S Adams

If person number 1 has the floor, and is getting ready to make an amendment to a motion; then person number 2 jumps in and says "I call the question" while the first person is trying to speak.   Is "calling the question" in order at that point, or does the second person have to obtain the floor first?

On 1/30/2024 at 1:58 PM, Guest S Adams said:

If person number 1 has the floor, and is getting ready to make an amendment to a motion; then person number 2 jumps in and says "I call the question" while the first person is trying to speak.   Is "calling the question" in order at that point, or does the second person have to obtain the floor first?

Motions to order the previous question are not in order when another person has the floor.

On 1/30/2024 at 1:58 PM, Guest S Adams said:

See FAQ # 11: Must debate on a motion stop immediately as soon as any member calls the question?

It is a fairly common misconception that, after debate has continued for some time, if any member shouts out “Question!” or “I call the question!” debate must immediately cease and the chair must put the pending question to a vote. This is simply not the case. Any member who wishes to force an end to debate must first obtain the floor by being duly recognized to speak by the chair, and must then move the Previous Question. Such a motion must be seconded, and then adopted by a two-thirds vote, or by unanimous consent. It is not in order to interrupt a speaker with cries of “Question” or “Call the Question,” and even if no one is speaking, it is still necessary to seek recognition. [RONR (12th ed.) 16:6–7; see also pp. 35–37 of RONR In Brief.]

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.