The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Cancelling a meeting

Guest Guest John

Our organization's bylaws specify two regular meetings a year (called the spring and fall meetings) and the president set the dates and places for both types of meeting.  Both require ten day's notice.  Once a meeting call has been issued by the president, can it be cancelled?  A) if more than ten days remain before the date set; B ) if less than ten days remain; C) if an emergency exists, say weather; D) if the president finds it inconvenient, say a resolution of censure will be introduced.

On 2/5/2024 at 11:10 AM, Guest Guest John said:

Our organization's bylaws specify two regular meetings a year (called the spring and fall meetings) and the president set the dates and places for both types of meeting.  Both require ten day's notice.  Once a meeting call has been issued by the president, can it be cancelled?  A) if more than ten days remain before the date set; B ) if less than ten days remain; C) if an emergency exists, say weather; D) if the president finds it inconvenient, say a resolution of censure will be introduced.

It may be helpful to see the exact language in the bylaws on this matter. But based on the information provided so far...

I would first note generally that these meetings certainly cannot be canceled altogether, in the sense that the spring meeting or the fall meeting would not be held at all. If the bylaws require these meetings to be held, they must be held. I think what you in fact mean to ask is whether these meetings may be rescheduled to another date. With that in mind...

In my view, if the bylaws grant the President unilateral authority to schedule these meetings, the President also has unilateral authority to reschedule them. If the bylaws require ten days notice, however, the notice of the cancellation must be sent at least ten days prior to the date of the meeting, and the notice of the new meeting date must be sent at least ten days prior to the new meeting. I don't think the President's reasoning for rescheduling the meeting matters. So...

A.) Yes

B.) No

C and D.) Yes if more than days remain, no if less than 10 days remain

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.