The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Minutes order have to match the agenda?

Guest Dennis Rohlfing

Once an agenda has been approved by the assembly it can only be amended by a two-thirds vote of the assembly.  The chair cannot do it alone, but if the change is not expected to be controversial, the chair could seek unanimous consent to make the change.

The minutes should always reflect what was actually done in the order that it was done.

If the agenda is not adopted by the assembly, it is essentially just a memo for the use of the chair but is not binding, and the chair can use whatever discretion would ordinarily be available, which is far from total.  If the assembly wishes to take up a question at a different time than would be set by the orders of the day, it would still take a two-thirds vote to set the orders aside.

On 2/28/2024 at 5:31 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Mr. Honemann has previously and explicitly denied on the forum that the minutes must be arranged in temporal order.

I suppose that's technically true, since the assembly has control of what goes in the minutes, but without a compelling reason to randomize the contents, I'd be voting against doing so.  The usual case certainly is to follow the business as conducted, chronologically.

On 2/28/2024 at 3:58 PM, Guest Dennis Rohlfing said:

If the agenda needs to be changed during the meeting can it be done by the chair or does it require a vote of the members?

The latter. After the agenda has been adopted, a 2/3 vote would be required to change it.

On 2/28/2024 at 3:58 PM, Guest Dennis Rohlfing said:

If the agenda is changed, should the minutes reflect the original agenda or the actual agenda?

My general experience, and personal preference, is that the minutes should reflect what actually happened, in the order in which it happened, and the agenda has nothing to do with it.

Strictly speaking, RONR does not require that the minutes be in chronological order. On the other hand, certainly nothing in RONR suggests the minutes must follow the agenda either.

On 2/28/2024 at 4:31 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Mr. Honemann has previously and explicitly denied on the forum that the minutes must be arranged in temporal order.

Well, the other option the OP offered was the minutes following "the agenda," and I'm sure that you of all people aren't advocating for that. :)

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.