The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a motion be made where amendments are not allowed

Guest Nick

On 3/9/2024 at 10:33 AM, Rob Elsman said:

I don't mean to imply that rules cannot be suspended. Much of the common parliamentary law is suspendable. My point is that the "vanilla" rules in the book can apparently be used to reach this bizarre result. This, for me, is like the rabbit hole to Alice's Wonderland. Serious reservations are raised in my mind that the premises of the argument are correct.

I still don't understand this.

What distinguishes "vanilla" rules from other rules?  And again, why in the world would you suggest using the complicated, multi-motion process you suggest using, especially since you don't think it will work?

On 3/9/2024 at 10:18 AM, Dan Honemann said:

I simply don't understand this at all. When such questions are asked, why not suggest moving to suspend the rules which interfere with prohibiting any amendment?  Why do you see a need to suggest doing it in your extraordinarily convoluted solution?

That's my question as well.  Since 15:2 is the rule that limits the limiting, that's the rule that should be suspended, it seems to me.  For completeness, I'd offer to add just four words to Mr. Gerber's suggestion: 

On 3/8/2024 at 4:10 PM, Shmuel Gerber said:

Why not just move to [suspend the rules and]  limit debate by forbidding the making of any amendments? 

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.