The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation of President

Guest L Garrett

Our Chairman resigned but has maintained a seat on our BOD, he also voted after his resignation was accepted

What section in Roberts Rules of Order 12 Edition, outlines Retaining a BOD postion automatically and voting rights after resignation? I don't think it does.

Nor do our By-Laws mention any such situation. Can you please provide where I can officially reference information 

It depends on how your board is organized.  The two common methods are:

• The membership elects a president and other officers, plus some additional directors, all of whom make up the board.
  • The membership elects a number of directors which constitute the board, and the board then elects officers from among its own number.

The answer to your question depends on which (or what other) method your organization uses.   

• If the membership elects the presiding officer directly, who is then a member of the board because of that office (ex-officio), then resignation from the presidency removes one from the board as well.
  • If the membership elects the board and the board elects officers, then the president can resign from the presidency without resigning from the board.

On 3/14/2024 at 9:27 AM, Tina R said:

@Gary Novosielski please expand . . .scenario #2 office appointed by the board, if the person resigns, board accepts resignation then appoints another board member to replace the vacant office - does the person still remain on the board and have ex-officio status until the next formal board election?

I'd suggest posting your question as a new topic, and when you do, please describe the situation in more detail. It would also be beneficial to describe how board members and officers are elected in your organization, and what (if anything) they say on the subject of filling vacancies.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.