The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Motion coming from a standing committee

Guest T. Mitchell

I am a chairman of a committee. In my report, I presented two motions from the committee that were presented/discussed with the Executive Board/Committee and there were no changes to the motions. For the chapter meeting, my president is telling me that when I give my report and I get to the point of presenting the motions to the chapter, I have to start the motion by saying, "on behalf of the Executive Committee, I move..." The last training I attend, the instructor said that motions from committees do not come from the Executive Committee, but from the committee. Therefore, at my chapter meeting when it's time for my committee report (which is listed on the agenda), I should present the motion by stating, "the so and so committee moves to [state the action}", right?

On 3/14/2024 at 4:16 PM, Guest T. Mitchell said:

I know to say that. The concern I have is I'm being directed to say" On behalf of the Executive Committee"; not from the committee I chair which is actually bringing the action before the membership. So, which is correct? Thanks

You should say the name of the committee "which is actually bringing the action before the membership" and ignore any erroneous "directions" you have been given to the contrary.

On 3/14/2024 at 5:16 PM, Guest T. Mitchell said:

I know to say that. The concern I have is I'm being directed to say" On behalf of the Executive Committee"; not from the committee I chair which is actually bringing the action before the membership. So, which is correct? Thanks

RONR is correct, and whoever is directing you otherwise is not.  You are moving the recommenced motions on behalf of the committee which you chair.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.