The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a committee vote to remove its Chair for dereliction or negligence of duty

Guest L.D.

We are a small governing body and have several standing committees. Members are elected to serve set terms on these committees. It has come to the attention of the executive board that a member has blatantly violated the bylaws and approved procedures of this committee, which conducts highly-sensitive work involving confidential records. Our bylaws are silent on disciplinary action and default to RONR whenever that is the case. This person needs to at the very least be removed as chair, but should be removed entirely from this committee for the remainder of their term. My thinking is that because the committee is elected by the members the executive board can't do this, at least not neatly and quickly. Can the committee move to remove and replace its chair? 

On 3/30/2024 at 10:41 AM, Guest L.D. said:

My thinking is that because the committee is elected by the members the executive board can't do this, at least not neatly and quickly.

I agree.

On 3/30/2024 at 10:41 AM, Guest L.D. said:

Can the committee move to remove and replace its chair? 

How are the committee chairs selected?

On 3/30/2024 at 10:51 AM, Gary Novosielski said:

No.  That can only be done by the appointing authority, i.e., the parent body.  The committee, by majority vote can request that the parent body replace the chair, but can't do so on its own initiative.

I am generally inclined to agree, but it's certainly possible that the parent body elects the committee members, but authorizes the committee to elect its own chair. That's not an unusual arrangement.

On 3/30/2024 at 11:01 AM, Guest L.D. said:

The parent body elects the committee members and authorizes the committee to elect its own chair. So the committee elected their current chair.

In this event, I am inclined to think the committee has the authority to remove this person from the chair, however, only the parent body may remove this person from the committee.

Edited by Josh Martin

On 3/30/2024 at 11:01 AM, Guest L.D. said:

The parent body elects the committee members and authorizes the committee to elect its own chair. So the committee elected their current chair.

In that case, the committee should be able to select a new chair, but only the parent body (the membership?) can remove or replace him as a committee member.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.