The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can the time of a Special Order be an event?

Drake Savory

Reading the rules on special orders, I always interpreted "time" as clock-based.  So now I sit in meeting where agendas are adopted "with flexibility" to allow guest speakers to present whenever they show up.  Then it struck me, could a special order time be an event like "Presentation from the Hansen's Disease Prevention Academy when they arrive."?

If not, is there any reason a body couldn't adopt a special rule of order allowing that?

On 4/1/2024 at 10:54 PM, Drake Savory said:

Reading the rules on special orders, I always interpreted "time" as clock-based.  So now I sit in meeting where agendas are adopted "with flexibility" to allow guest speakers to present whenever they show up.  Then it struck me, could a special order time be an event like "Presentation from the Hansen's Disease Prevention Academy when they arrive."?

Yes, I believe the time for a special order need not be "clock-based" and can be based upon an event.

I think the only limitation on this is that the "event" in question must reasonably be expected to occur during the current session or at the next regular session (if within a quarterly interval).

On 4/1/2024 at 10:54 PM, Drake Savory said:

If not, is there any reason a body couldn't adopt a special rule of order allowing that?

I'm not certain a special rule is necessary, but to the extent it was, I see no reason why not.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:42 PM, Drake Savory said:

This is about adopting an agenda at the beginning of the meeting.

Nonetheless, I believe it continues to be in order to establish an order of the day to occur after a certain event, rather than at a specific time, regardless of the manner in which the order of the day is established.

Indeed, it seems to me this is a great deal of what an agenda is. For any items where no time is specified (or for which the time is advisory only), the items are being defined as coming up after the item previously listed on the agenda is completed.

On 4/2/2024 at 9:42 PM, Drake Savory said:

Further question: could a special order be "timed" as coming up upon the call of the Chair?

I think this would require a motion to Suspend the Rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.