The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can practices that are followed over time, be considered part of the organization's rules? Or its standard operating procedures?

Guest Rodney Foxworth

On 4/3/2024 at 11:21 AM, Guest Rodney Foxworth said:

Can practices that are followed over time, be considered part of the organization's rules? Or its standard operating procedures?

Practices that are followed over time, but are not part of the organization's written rules, are referred to in RONR as "customs." RONR does not use the term "standard operating procedures." RONR has the following to say concerning the status of customs.

"In some organizations, a particular practice may sometimes come to be followed as a matter of established custom so that it is treated practically as if it were prescribed by a rule. If there is no contrary provision in the parliamentary authority or written rules of the organization, such an established custom is adhered to unless the assembly, by a majority vote, agrees in a particular instance to do otherwise. However, if a customary practice is or becomes in conflict with the parliamentary authority or any written rule, and a Point of Order (23) citing the conflict is raised at any time, the custom falls to the ground, and the conflicting provision in the parliamentary authority or written rule must thereafter be complied with. If it is then desired to follow the former practice, a special rule of order (or, in appropriate circumstances, a standing rule or a bylaw provision) can be added or amended to incorporate it." RONR (12th ed.) 2:25

That is, customs which do not conflict with any written rule of the society are followed unless the assembly chooses to do otherwise. If a custom does conflict with a written rule, however, the written rule must be complied with, unless and until the written rules are amended to incorporate the custom.

If this does not answer your question, we may be able to provide further assistance if you can provide additional details regarding the situation at hand.

On 4/3/2024 at 2:50 PM, Rob Elsman said:

I think we need clarification about whether the "practices" involve parliamentary procedure.  So far, everyone seems to assume so, but I have my doubts.  Again, what kind of practices are we dealing with?

Does it actually matter whether the "practices" involve parliamentary procedure? As I read RONR (12th ed.) 2:25, what is said there is equally applicable whether the rules (if they were written down) would be in the nature of rules of order or standing rules.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.