The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Can a motion be made immediately after a vote has taken place requesting a subsequent vote 30 days later?

Guest Pamela

If there are 4 nominees vying for 1 position and a vote is taken where 51 out of 52 members present vote for a specific nominee, can a motion be made immediately after the vote has taken place to vote 30 days from now on the same 4 nominees for the 1 position? I'm told this is documented in Robert's Rules of Order but I'm not finding it. 

Thank you for considering my question.

On 4/9/2024 at 6:44 AM, Guest Pamela said:

If there are 4 nominees vying for 1 position and a vote is taken where 51 out of 52 members present vote for a specific nominee, can a motion be made immediately after the vote has taken place to vote 30 days from now on the same 4 nominees for the 1 position? I'm told this is documented in Robert's Rules of Order but I'm not finding it. 

Thank you for considering my question.

Such a motion is clearly not in order.

This most closely resembles a motion to Reconsider the vote on the election, but it is not clear from the information provided whether that would be in order at the time it was made.

46:46 Time at Which an Election Takes Effect. An election to an office becomes final immediately if the candidate is present and  does not decline, or if he is absent but has consented to his candidacy. If he is absent and has not consented to his candidacy, the election becomes final when he is notified of his election, provided that he does not immediately decline. If he does decline, the election is incomplete, and another vote can be taken immediately or at the next meeting without further notice. After an election has become final as stated in this paragraph, it is too late to reconsider (37) the vote on the election.  [emphasis added]

Edited by Atul Kapur

On 4/9/2024 at 9:57 AM, Atul Kapur said:

This most closely resembles a motion to Reconsider the vote on the election, but it is not clear from the information provided whether that would be in order at the time it was made.

Well, I suppose it most closely resembles a motion to Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes, but that's a bit of a stretch.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:44 AM, Guest Pamela said:

If there are 4 nominees vying for 1 position and a vote is taken where 51 out of 52 members present vote for a specific nominee, can a motion be made immediately after the vote has taken place to vote 30 days from now on the same 4 nominees for the 1 position?

The short answer is "no."

An election cannot be reconsidered unless the person who was elected is absent and has not yet been notified of their election, and even then, the person who makes the motion to Reconsider (or Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes) cannot mandate the time at which the reconsideration will occur.

On 4/9/2024 at 5:44 AM, Guest Pamela said:

I'm told this is documented in Robert's Rules of Order but I'm not finding it. 

I think the reason you can't find it is because this person made it up.

What RONR actually says on this subject can be found in RONR (12th ed.) 46:46.

On 4/9/2024 at 8:57 AM, Atul Kapur said:

Even supposing a motion to Reconsider (or Reconsider and Enter on the Minutes) is in order (which I think is very unlikely), the maker of the motion cannot specify that such a motion will be called up in 30 days.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.