The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Suspending a rule prohibiting debate and adoption of certain resolutions

Guest Francis

Hello, 

My organization is holding a multi-day session where one of the rules of the organization is that a resolution must not address more than one subject. Essentially it's a single-subject rule. Would I be able to make a motion suspending that rule for the entirety of the session? Something like, "I move to suspend the rules that interfere with the debate or adoption of a resolution that address more than one subject, for the rest of the session." 

Would this be beyond the limits of a suspension of the rules? I believe that I saw somewhere that a suspension of the rules is for a particular purpose and can usually only suspend the rules for a meeting (and not an entire session). What I consider to be the particular purpose here is allowing debate and adoption of a multi-subject resolution. Let me know what you guys think.

On 4/18/2024 at 5:02 AM, Guest Francis said:

Hello, 

My organization is holding a multi-day session where one of the rules of the organization is that a resolution must not address more than one subject. Essentially it's a single-subject rule. Would I be able to make a motion suspending that rule for the entirety of the session? Something like, "I move to suspend the rules that interfere with the debate or adoption of a resolution that address more than one subject, for the rest of the session." 

Would this be beyond the limits of a suspension of the rules? I believe that I saw somewhere that a suspension of the rules is for a particular purpose and can usually only suspend the rules for a meeting (and not an entire session). What I consider to be the particular purpose here is allowing debate and adoption of a multi-subject resolution. Let me know what you guys think.

Actually, I think that you could make a motion such as the one that you suggest, but it appears to be overkill.  Why not just move to suspend the rules that interfere with the consideration of the resolution you have in mind?

Another alternative is to adopt a preliminary main motion that sets the length and number of speeches that are allowed of each member. Such a main motion requires a two-thirds vote for adoption, since its adoption would have the effect of suspending the rules, as Mr. Honemann has already indicated.

On 4/18/2024 at 8:50 AM, Rob Elsman said:

Another alternative is to adopt a preliminary main motion that sets the length and number of speeches that are allowed of each member

I’m curious as to how, exactly, this answers the original posters question about suspending the rule limiting resolutions to one subject only. 

For the record, I agree with Mr. Honemann‘s suggestion, but if this session consists of more than one meeting, I question whether the rule could be suspended for more than one meeting at a time. as opposed to being. suspended for the entire session by a single vote. 

Can someone provide a citation to the provision in RONR which states that a special rule of order may be suspended for either an entire meeting or an entire session? Although I am fairly certain I have seen it, I am unable now to find a provision which explicitly says that.

On 4/18/2024 at 4:02 AM, Guest Francis said:

What I consider to be the particular purpose here is allowing debate and adoption of a multi-subject resolution. Let me know what you guys think

I think I had in mind the suspension of the rules in the House of Representatives to permit what are sometimes called "Christmas tree resolutions", which deal with a variety of subjects in the same way that a Christmas tree is hung with a variety of ornaments. In the House, the handling of these kinds of resolutions is governed by the adoption of a special rule presented by the rules committee. The motion to adopt the recommendation of the rules committee is equivalent to the adoption of a preliminary main motion in an ordinary society. Such a motion always has the effect of suspending the rules (but, in the House, requires only a majority vote for adoption).

On 4/18/2024 at 11:29 AM, Richard Brown said:

Can someone provide a citation to the provision in RONR which states that a special rule of order may be suspended for either an entire meeting or an entire session? Although I am fairly certain I have seen it, I am unable now to find a provision which explicitly says that.

59:35(1) and 43:16 are helpful in this regard.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.