The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Name of mover of motion wrongly taken

Guest ABC

During membership meeting, name for mover of a motion to accept last year’s minutes was wrong. I mean the Chair spoke out the wrong name. The motion was seconded and carried by majority. What is the course of action now ? Is the motion dropped or can we mention other members name who was interested in making the motion ? 

On 4/23/2024 at 12:10 PM, Guest ABC said:

During membership meeting, name for mover of a motion to accept last year’s minutes was wrong. I mean the Chair spoke out the wrong name. The motion was seconded and carried by majority. What is the course of action now ? Is the motion dropped or can we mention other members name who was interested in making the motion ? 

If I were the secretary, i would record the name of the member who actually made the (quite unnecessary) motion to approve the minutes.  No vote should have been taken, but since it was it should be recorded that the motion was approved (or approved as corrected if corrections were made).

On 4/23/2024 at 11:10 AM, Guest ABC said:

Just FYI, a motion is rarely ever disregarded or "dropped" just because something about it was handled improperly or recorded incorrectly in the minutes.  Instead, correct the minutes to correctly reflect what actually happened.   Only if something so serious as to constitute what RONR refers to as a "continuing breach" occurs would an adopted motion be deemed null and void.  Edited to add:  Even then, having it declared null and void requires some sort of action by the chair or the assembly in a meeting..

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

On 4/23/2024 at 11:10 AM, Guest ABC said:

There is no vote on approving last meeting's minutes, and so no motion or second is required. 

The chair calls for the reading of the minutes and asks if there are any corrections to the draft. If there are no corrections (or once there are no further corrections), the Chair simply announces that the minutes stand approved as read (or as corrected.)

And by the way, it is not proper to let the minutes of an annual meeting go unapproved for an entire year.  The assembly should move to appoint the board or a special committee to approve the minutes.

Edited by Gary Novosielski

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.