The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Resignation from the board or officer

Guest Jack Burch

On 4/24/2024 at 6:00 PM, Guest Jack Burch said:

In the case of a resignation from a board, must this be in writing?

Nothing in RONR requires that it be in writing.

Must the board vote to accept the resignation before it is final? 

Generally, the entity that empowered to fill the vacancy is the one that must accept the resignation. So if the bylaws provide that vacancies ay be filled by the board, then the resonation must be accepted by the board (by unanimous consent or by actual vote).

May a member rescind the resignation before the board votes on the resignation?

Yes, the resignation may be withdrawn until it is accepted by whatever entity is empowered to accept it. 

The resignation really ought to be submitted to the secretary of the electing assembly in writing.

Unless something else is provided in the bylaws, the resignation must be accepted by the electing assembly.  This is done by adopting the motion, Request to be Excused from a Duty, by majority vote. See RONR (12th ed.) §32.

The member may withdraw his resignation without the permission of the assembly until the chair has stated the question on the adoption of the motion to accept the resignation; thereafter, the assembly's permission is required.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:30 PM, Rob Elsman said:

The member may withdraw his resignation without the permission of the assembly until the chair has stated the question on the adoption of the motion to accept the resignation; thereafter, the assembly's permission is required.

Yes, that is a more accurate statement than I provided. Otherwise, I think Mr. Elsman and I are pretty much ion agreement.

On 4/24/2024 at 8:33 PM, Rob Elsman said:

"...in writing..." RONR (12th ed.) 32:5.

I stand partially corrected. However, 32:5 goes on to say, "alternatively, it may be submitted during a meeting either orally or in writing." (Emphasis added.) So it appears that RONR does not require that the resignation be in writing, unless it is submitted outside a meeting.

In the case of a resignation from a board, must this be in writing? 

No. A resignation may be submitted in writing, or the resignation may be submitted orally at a meeting.

Must the board vote to accept the resignation before it is final?

Yes. (I am assuming the board is the body with the power to fill the resulting vacancy.)

May a member rescind the resignation before the board votes on the resignation?

The member may unilaterally withdraw (not "rescind") the resignation until the the chair states the question on accepting the resignation. After the chair has stated the question on the resignation, but before the vote has been taken, the member may withdraw the resignation only with the consent of the board.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.