The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Statement of candidacy

Guest Larry Schwartz

Guest Larry Schwartz

We recently had an election with two candidates running for the office. Both candidates were asked to submit a statement of candidacy. Candidate A did. Candidate B did not. The election administrator decided (?) not to print out Candidate A's statement on the ballot. Candidate B won by a very small margin (3) votes. Does Candidate A have any sort of a case to ask for another vote/run off because his statement was not printed for the membership to read?

On 5/8/2024 at 10:09 AM, Guest Larry Schwartz said:

We recently had an election with two candidates running for the office. Both candidates were asked to submit a statement of candidacy. Candidate A did. Candidate B did not. The election administrator decided (?) not to print out Candidate A's statement on the ballot. Candidate B won by a very small margin (3) votes. Does Candidate A have any sort of a case to ask for another vote/run off because his statement was not printed for the membership to read?

I guess the real question to ask is what, if anything, do your bylaws or other rules say about the printing of candidate's statements on ballots or relating to any sort of distribution of such statements?

Guest Larry Schwartz

So what you all are telling me is that besides being REALLY PISSED OFF at the Election Administrator for omitting A's statement, and besides the fact that a passionate and factual statement ( B has done some shady things in the past) which might have swayed, let's say 5 people to  vote for A and not B (which would have won the election for A), unless there is something specific in the Bylaws, there is nothing Candidate A can do. Am I saying it correctly? Thanks all.

On 5/10/2024 at 9:36 AM, Guest Larry Schwartz said:

So what you all are telling me is that besides being REALLY PISSED OFF at the Election Administrator for omitting A's statement, and besides the fact that a passionate and factual statement ( B has done some shady things in the past) which might have swayed, let's say 5 people to  vote for A and not B (which would have won the election for A), unless there is something specific in the Bylaws, there is nothing Candidate A can do. Am I saying it correctly? Thanks all.

You have yet to answer my questions.  I repeat: What, if anything, do your bylaws or other rules say about the printing of candidate's statements on ballots or relating to any sort of distribution of such statements?

Guest Larry Schwartz

Hi Dan,

Sorry.... There is nothing written in our bylaws that relates to a candidates statement being on the ballot nor distributed to the membership. It's just a courtesy to a candidate if they want the membership to know why they are better suited for the job than the other candidates. Let me throw another wrinkle in this.....If the Election Administrator has some kind of "hidden agenda" and (s)he is good buds with Candidate B, it would be to B's advantage for A's statement not to be printed. Certainly not very ethical, but then again, not required. Thoughts?  I know, I know......and if pigs could fly..........

Thanks

On 5/10/2024 at 10:23 AM, Guest Larry Schwartz said:

Hi Dan,

Sorry.... There is nothing written in our bylaws that relates to a candidates statement being on the ballot nor distributed to the membership. It's just a courtesy to a candidate if they want the membership to know why they are better suited for the job than the other candidates. Let me throw another wrinkle in this.....If the Election Administrator has some kind of "hidden agenda" and (s)he is good buds with Candidate B, it would be to B's advantage for A's statement not to be printed. Certainly not very ethical, but then again, not required. Thoughts?  I know, I know......and if pigs could fly..........

Thanks

Based upon what you say here, Candidate A voluntarily submitted a statement when asked to do so, although the request to do so was in no way authorized or required by your rules, and there is nothing in your rules saying anything at all about what should be done with such a statement if submitted.  Under such circumstances, it seems to me that Candidate A has little to complain about. There is certainly no bases here for overturning the election.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.