The Official RONR Q & A Forums

time lapse between revisiting a topic

Guest William

Agreeing with Mr. Elsman, there is more than one way to "re-visit" a motion (using your term).  What method you can use depends in part on whether the motion was adopted or rejected when it was first voted on.  In some cases the previously considered motion can be "re-visited" on the same day and in other cases it cannot be "re-visited" in the same session.  So, agreeing with Mr. Elsman, we need more information regarding just what was done and the reason for wanting to "re-visit" it.  We also need to know whether you want to "re-visit" it at the same meeting or at a subsequent meeting (or session).

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last sentence

We are a 501c3 organization and a topic was brought up that somewhat blind sided a lot of members . The topic was brought up at the next meeting and the members were told it could not be brought up for another vote for a year.  We have a large membership of about 6 hundred but only about 20 participating members.

A main motion that is rejected can be renewed at any later session. For many organizations, a session coincides with a meeting, so a main motion could be renewed at any later meeting, provided any required previous notice has been properly given. Does this assembly have sessions that last a year? I rather doubt it.

You still haven't told us whether the motion was adopted or defeated when it was first considered.  The process you would normally follow depends on the answer to that question.

Edited to add:  If the motion was defeated when it was first proposed, it can be renewed (made again) by anyone at any later meeting or even at meeting after meeting (assuming each of your meetings is a separate session, which is probably the case).    Also,, RONR does not require previous notice of an intent to renew a motion at a subsequent meeting.  It can be made by any member regardless of how that member originally voted or even whether he or she was present for the initial vote.

Edited by Richard Brown
Added last paragraph

We are a 501c3 organization and a topic was brought up that somewhat blind sided a lot of members . The topic was brought up at the next meeting and the members were told it could not be brought up for another vote for a year.  We have a large membership of about 6 hundred but only about 20 participating members. The motion was adopted. We have meetings once a month. The reason I mentioned the number of members is that I noticed where it said all members must be notified. We are a military organization and we don't know how many members are deceased or infirm. A lot of participating members were unhappy with the decision and came to the next meeting to bring the motion up again and were told they couldn't.

We are a 501c3 organization and a topic was brought up that somewhat blind sided a lot of members . The topic was brought up at the next meeting and the members were told it could not be brought up for another vote for a year.  We have a large membership of about 6 hundred but only about 20 participating members. The motion was adopted. We have meetings once a month. The reason I mentioned the number of members is that I noticed where it said all members must be notified. We are a military organization and we don't know how many members are deceased or infirm. A lot of participating members were unhappy with the decision and came to the next meeting to bring the motion up again and were told they couldn't.

The way I read the rules and I believe they are being interpreted by some in sec.35 is that the entire membership has to be notified before a vote. Is that correct?

On 5/16/2024 at 12:16 PM, Guest William said:

The way I read the rules and I believe they are being interpreted by some in sec.35 is that the entire membership has to be notified before a vote. Is that correct?

Well, that's different from a year. When you say "[t]he way [you] read the rules" do you mean RONR or your own rules? if the former, it is not required, but it helps. If you are trying to rescind or amend a previously adopted motion, it will take a 2/3 vote, or a majority of the the entire membership (of the body that is meeting) voting in the affirmative (which, in your case, seems impossible, if this is a meeting of the membership as opposed to the board, or a majority vote with previous notice. So previous notice, as described in RONR, is not required, but it makes it easier to achieve.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:06 PM, Guest William said:

The reason I mentioned the number of members is that I noticed where it said all members must be notified.

Where does this "rule" appear?   In your bylaws?  In your articles of incorporation?  In state law?  Somewhere else?  What, EXACTLY, does it say?  And exactly what kind of notice was/is provided about your meetings?  How is it sent and to whom is it sent?

BTW, if the motion was adopted, the proper motion to use to "re-visit" it is the Motion to Rescind or Amend something previously adopted.  It has specific vote requirements.  If previous notice of the motion is given, it can be adopted with a regular majority vote.  Without previous notice, it requires a two-thirds vote or the vote of a majority of the entire membership. 

It seems to me that you have other issues that might be best addressed by consulting with an attorney or an experienced parliamentarian. 

Most of the members are not that familiar with parliamentary procedures. One member claimed it was Robert's rules of order. I am doing my best to discern the truth.

Both in the statement that all members had to be notified before a vote and the statement that another vote could net be taken for a year.

On 5/16/2024 at 2:28 PM, Guest William said:

Both in the statement that all members had to be notified before a vote and the statement that another vote could net be taken for a year.

What do your bylaws (or articles of incorporation or other governing documents or standing rules) say about when, where and how often you meet?  Is there a provision somewhere to the effect that "the society shall meet on the third Monday of every month"?   Is there a rule or adopted motion that specifies the time and place of your meetings?  If so (as to any of that), please provide the pertinent language verbatim.

I think all of us responding to you agree that RONR does not require previous notice of a motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted, but it may well be that you must somehow give members notice of your meetings, either by a provision somewhere in your "rules" or by mailing or emailing a notice of each meeting.   Members do have a right to know when the organization is meeting, whether by virtue of an adopted rule of some sort or by being sent a notice.  That is a different (and more serious) issue than giving notice of intent to make a motion to rescind or amend something previously adopted.  Members have a right to know when and where the organization is meeting.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.