The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Committee Chairman's Rights

Guest Michael

On 7/1/2024 at 1:03 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Yes--as long as the committee is not so large that it really must adhere to the rules that normally apply to larger assemblies.

In which case, it will have been instructed by its parent body that the small board rules are not to apply to is proceedings. 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:02 AM, Guest Michael said:

Can the chairman of a committee (that is part of a larger organization) make motions, debate, and participate in a hand vote when presiding at a committee meeting? 

On 7/1/2024 at 10:09 AM, Dan Honemann said:

Yes.

On 7/1/2024 at 12:03 PM, Rob Elsman said:

Yes--as long as the committee is not so large that it really must adhere to the rules that normally apply to larger assemblies.

On 7/1/2024 at 2:17 PM, Gary Novosielski said:

In which case, it will have been instructed by its parent body that the small board rules are not to apply to is proceedings. 

I agree completely with Mr. Honemann and Mr. Novosielski.  I agree with Mr. Elsman but with the caveat that Mr. Novosielski pointed out:  The committee has no choice but to follow the "small board rules" unless the parent assembly instructs it otherwise or grants the committee the right to determine for itself whether to follow the small board rules. Nothing in RONR grants the committee the right to deviate from the "small board rules". They apply to all committees regardless of the size of the committee. The parent assembly itself must do that.  I do agree, however, that as a practical matter, the committee chairman can personally refrain from making motions, speaking in debate, and voting except when the vote is by secret ballot or will affect the result.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.