The Official RONR Q & A Forums

IPP

Guest Ray

Our by-laws list an IPP board postion as an officer. Here's the circumstances and my question...

Tom replaced Jerry as President. Jerry became our IPP. Tom resently resigned and Peppy took over as President because he was Vice President. Since Tom is the "real" IPP, shouldn't Jerry lose his board seat?

***names are not real.....

Since Tom is the "real" IPP, shouldn't Jerry lose his board seat?

There is no conclusive answer to your question as there is no Immediate Past President position in RONR, and most regulars on this forum, myself included, advise against providing for such a position in your Bylaws. However, basic logic and the definition of the word "Immediate" would suggest that Tom is the Immediate Past President and gets Jerry's board seat.

Tom replaced Jerry as P.

Jerry became our IPP.

Tom recently resigned.

Peppy took over as P because Peppy was VP.

Q. Since Tom is the "real" IPP, shouldn't Jerry lose his board seat?

Q. What is the argument in favor of Jerry continuing to sit as IPP, thus shutting out Tom? (This would seem to be a no-brainer; thus the question: what is the difference between IPP #A vs. IPP #B.)

Q. Who did Jerry replace - i.e., what makes Jerry think his ascendency to office is more "permanent" or more "sustaining" than Tom's ascendency to office?

Q. What shall you call Tom, if not "immediate past president"?

In my personal view, setting up an "official" Immediate Past President (IPP) position is not a particularly good idea. The most telling argument is the real possibility of a close and bitter race for the presidency, with the current president running (for a second term) against an "outsider". And the outsider - the "reform candidate", perhaps - wins but is still stuck with the thorn of the IPP on the Board in a position to snipe at the new president. And perhaps attempt to undermine the new president's plans.

If the erstwhile president is a "good guy" the new president can (usually, depending on the bylaws) appoint him to a pre-existing committee - or even have him chair one, which might put him on the Board - as the new president sees fit. That way the IPP's experience and value can be put to good use, when needed, without the danger of setting up an adversarial situation which would require a bylaw amendment to get out of.

Here's some more reasons

1) The President resigns and wants nothing to do with the organization.

2) The President simply doesn't run for election again because he's had enough, and never shows up at a board meeting.

3) The President is booted out of office for being incompetent, or for something more nefarious.

4) The President dies.

5) The President resigns and moves (wants to help but isn't around).

6) Even worse is the bylaw assignment of the IPP to chair a committee - such as nominating. Then he dies/quits/leaves town, &c. You are then stuck with an unfillable (by definition) vacancy.

Q. What is the argument in favor of Jerry continuing to sit as IPP, thus shutting out Tom? (This would seem to be a no-brainer; thus the question: what is the difference between IPP #A vs. IPP #B.)

Q. Who did Jerry replace - i.e., what makes Jerry think his ascendency to office is more "permanent" or more "sustaining" than Tom's ascendency to office?

Q. What shall you call Tom, if not "immediate past president"?

Q1. Jerry is no longer the IPP. There is no IPP #A and IPP #B. Tom is the one and only IPP.

Q2. Jerry replaced Woody, the previous IPP. Since Tom resigned and did not request the IPP seat, Jerry believes he is still the IPP. There is no precedent for this in our organization.

Q3. Exactly....

Past Presidents are not a good idea - I get it. We are stuck with this until amended. Our by-laws create the IPP position but are silent in dealing with this situation, length of term, etc. The only language on terms for board positions is specific to nominated and elected members. Tom could have resigned from President and accepted the IPP seat if he wanted to.

It it my position that as soon as Tom resigned and Peppy was given the Presidency, Tom became the IPP. It was Tom's option to accept the seat or decline it. Either way, I believe Jerry should have lost his seat immediately.

Am I wrong???

It was Tom's option to accept the seat or decline it. Either way, I believe Jerry should have lost his seat immediately.

Am I wrong???

Well, you're right about Jerry no longer being the IPP but not about Tom declining the seat. He's the IPP and, therefore, a member of the board whether he likes it or not.

Archived