The Official RONR Q & A Forums

Teleconferences

Guest pj_england

I see that RONR is strictly written for physical meetings. As such it does not have procedures for holding meetings either by audio teleconference or video teleconference. To avoid reinventing the wheel, I want to query the forum. Does anyone have a source for a sample bylaw article governing the use of one or both of these meeting types?

I work with serveral organizations and the ability to hold meetings remotely could solve some problems. There is a cost of privacy and they might only work well for smaller groups to manage the ability of persons to be recognized and debate. This might be of extra value for committee work drafting documents and so on.

I can see how a rollcall vote could be accomplished for both mediums. I know some softwares permit polls and surveys where the results can be displayed for all parties to the call. This could possibly be used for a ballot vote. There are many softwares available for collaboration using whiteboards and document sharing which could be used to aide the drafting of documents.

I would suggest that you call one of the professional organizations, since your questrion is beyond the scope of this board.

National Association of Parliamentarians

213 South Main St.

Independence, MO 64050-3850

Phone: 888-627-2929

Fax: 816-833-3893;

e-mail: hq@NAP2.org

http://www.parliamentarians.org

American Institute of Parliamentarians

550M Ritchie Highway #271

Severna Park, MD 21146

Tel: 888-664-0428

Fax: 847-885-8393

e-mail: aip@parliamentaryprocedure.org

http://www.parliamentaryprocedure.org/

I believe the latter might have something on its website.

Thank you for providing your insights. This topic is more complicated than I initially thought it would be. Fortunately the group I work with is <30 persons and our executive meetings are with only 7 persons. I think we should be able to come up with a process for our meetings. I especially like the availability of a neutral teller to tally secret ballots if needed.

Archived